View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 11:00 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Well, geez guys, you folks are just useless!

I thought someone here would know SOMETHING about this kit!

I've been meaning to drop Vern a line on some other stuff, though I have no 'formal' friendship with him other than I've been a rocket customer of his and he's been a video customer of mine. But, I'm hoping Vern might remember something about this kit.

My assumption at this point is that it was a 'custom' kit that Estes made for the KSC Visitor Center gift shop. But, it may have been an item that ultimately did not sell well at the time and, accordingly, very few were manufactured. Maybe even only one 'batch'. Who but possibly Vern would know? But since Vern was on hand for the launch of Apollo 11 and probably made other visits to KSC in the late 60s and early 70s, I would think he would probably remember at least SOME details behind this kit.

I am surprised however that NO one so far has even HEARD of this kit. Interesting.

Earl

Bill Simon ("Al_Packer") would be someone who should know about it. He's a member here, but apparently hasn't checked in for almost two years (1-1-11). It is said that Vern lurks here under an assumed name, but doesn't respond here. Carl could probably summon him. I've sent Vern email through the addresses on his web site but he's never answered.

I would assume that this was a test marketing item for Estes, sold through the one place where you could be assured of some demand. It may have indeed pre-dated the release of the flying kit, if only because they didn't have to do that pesky flight testing stuff. So it is possible that they could've had it in the gift shop at the time of the Apollo 11 launch.