View Single Post
Old 12-13-2018, 10:13 PM
BAR'd again

I was unable to successfully load the new downloaded ALPS drivers on an old XP and a current Win10 laptop.

I found an old 600E Thinkpad that had Win2000 on it, and it had a semi-functional driver embedded, and I was able to install the printer on that laptop. It only has partial functionality as far as the printer's options are concerned.

As a final last-ditch effort, I found the recovery disk for my 20 year old IBM Thinkpad 770 that has Win98 on it and the correct printer driver for the ALPS printer. This is the laptop that I used 7 or 8 years ago to print Taurus II decals.

I put the recovery disk in the CD drive, and after a couple Bios updates, it booted up off the hard drive! A couple re-boots confirmed that it is still functional. Printed a test page from the ALPS printer. So I think I'm golden at this point.

I have 30 cartridges for the ALPS printer, 6 of which are white cartridges. One metallic silver cartridge.

I have 20 years of Thinkpads--about 8 of them, with various operating systems (mostly XP actually) in an old file cabinet. Every single one booted right up (except for the oldest, a 1998 model 770 which eventually did boot) though the batteries are mostly dead.

So now I think I'm set up for making my own decals for a while at least.