View Single Post
Old 05-20-2020, 05:30 PM
Scale Modeler Extrodinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I never had trouble with F100's not firing their ejection charge if they did not cato during the thrust phase. Plenty of catos during the propellant burn, but nowhere near as bad as the cato rate of the E60. I have no idea why those stupid E60s were not de-certed within 6mos of their first existence. Only motor I'm aware of that had an over 50% cato rate.

I used to fly the Cineroc from my front yard - I lived on the very east end of town (our back windows literally looked out on the prairie - we could see the local airport ~6 miles away) so with the wind out of the west (which was the norm) I could easily recover out in the prairie. Views of the neighborhood were far more interesting than when I launched it in the prairie...
I flew 3 F100 motors (two lofting a Cineroc), and one failed to fire the ejection charge (dust bin recovery of the Cineroc when it impacted on asphalt ). Granted, 3 motors is not a good statistical sample, but it was enough to convince me not to bother with that motor.
In contrast, I flew my two stage/two D cluster Cineroc carrier over a dozen times with just one unsuccessful recovery when one engine failed to ignite. It went up about 50 ft. and did a loop, then staged when it was roughly parallel to the ground, headed west . It flew over one house, then crashed into the next house. It took out a few potted plants but there was no damage to the brick house. Cineroc and booster were pretty much destroyed, but the film cartridge was intact - the video was ASSUME !