View Single Post
Old 08-13-2005, 09:06 PM
Don't Save the Rocket-Eating Trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Well, it's most certainly not the 18" version...

I just took a quick measurement of my one copy of that cone, and found it to be 3.75". Next, I measured the outline given for the fins, and found the overhang to be about 1/2" past the rear edge of the tube (this is going to be a fudge-figure, not exactly accurate...).

Now, taking the catalog measurement for the completed rocket as reasonably accurate, since I don't have any way to confirm it or deny it, the length is 15.40". Subtracting 3.75", I get 11.65"; subtracting out the fin overhang as just a hair over 0.5" gives me a more-likely figure of 11.125" for the body tube.

I hope someone can get a better scan of the fin, and an accurate measurement of the tube. The shape in the plan set doesn't fully match the shape drawn in the plans on page 2. I've found that Estes usually drew these reference images pretty close to being accurate, although smaller than full-size. When I enlarged that image, the shapes were not the same. Close, but no pickle.

The tube is 12" according to the guy who sent me the scans. I thought the "WASPmeasurements" text file was included in the zip file I uploaded? No??

As for the fins, if you look on page 2 each of the three fins they illustrate look to be significantly different from each other. Especially the two fins that are the largest (closest to your view). See how in the leftmost fin, the edge opposite to the root edge is bigger than the edge adjacent to the root edge. In the rightmost fin it is vice-versa.

I think the most maddening case of innacurate fin drawings in the instructions was the Galactic Taxi. If you've ever built one of those.