View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 07:13 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Another interesting thing about the undipped versions: They sometimes survive the firing of a microMaxx motor. I've just gotten two launches each out of two of them. I used my converted Estes Electron Beam controller for these flights.
Funny that you should mention that. I was cleaning out my old starter kit box (from when I became a BAR in 2004) a couple of weeks ago, and I came across a bunch of Estes Solar igniters that had been fired, but still had the bridge wire intact. I remember saving a few at launches that had survived a firing, but I didn't realize that I had saved so many. I had at least a couple dozen of them. I do recall that a few years ago I regularly ignited engines with reused igniters - at least once or twice each time I took my rockets out to launch. I even fired three consecutive motors once with the same Solar igniter. I don't remember if it was the B6's or the A10's that were "easy" on the igniters. Back then, I was using my 6v Electron Beam controller for everything, too. Now I use a 12v system, and so that might be why my igniters only seem to be good for one use now.

MarkII
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011