View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdros
I have my Saturn V to refer to if it's a matter of carving and sanding. I can see that that would be a bit of work. Kody must be very good at modeling to reproduce all those pieces. It's worth the effort - until Semroc comes out with their own version. Ahh, if only Estes could make stuff like this available!

(Hmm, unless I hear back from one of those guys who's done wraps...)

Copy the lower 3rd stage wrap for the lower Orion wrap and cut off some of the right side of it to fit down to the ST-20 tube.

The larger upper Orion wrap is from the Saturn 1B and the Saturn V's bits don't match it, but you can still get the feel for how it would look. You will need to go by drawings if you don't have a 1B. George Gassaway has a drawing for the 1B. It's actually more detailed than you need, as the parts from the styrene sheet are smooth to allow for easy molds.

Gassaway's Apollo 7 drawing.

I almost forgot. Jim's wraps are based off the Orion's wraps which were shortened by Centuri, then Jim added about 1 3/4" material to make them fit his 2.6" upscale. You will need to cut the extra off of the right side of his wraps.

If you get a copy of the original Saturn 1B and V wraps from Paul Graf, you will still have to cut some off. The Saturn 1B and Saturn V third stage have a 2.6" diameter and use the full wraps. To modify the full Saturn 1B wrap, you need to cut the extra off of the left side of it, and cut the right side off of the Saturn V wrap which is what Centuri did to create the Orion wraps.