View Single Post
Old 02-15-2019, 07:26 PM
BAR

Hey Jeff!

Yeah, basically the quad "boxes" are white, and the nozzles are sort of a "gunmetal" color...
Actually, "gunmetal" isn't quite right... they sorta have a slightly "gold" color to them, or "brass" color maybe. I got curious in the middle of digging these up and searched for it and found the Apollo operations handbook on PDF and here's what it actually says about the thruster quad construction materials...

"Combustion chamber- The combustion chamber is constructed of unalloyed molybdenum which is coated with molybdenum disilicide to prevent oxidation of the base metal. Cooling of the chamber is by radiation and film cooling.

Nozzle extension- The nozzle extension is attached to the chamber with a waspalloy nut. The nozzle extension is machined from a cobalt base alloy (stainless steel). The stiffener rings are machined."

Here's some pics of the CSM display at Kennedy Space Center, below the Saturn V, and of the Saturn V itself.

I'll see what I have regarding the CSM on the Saturn V in Huntsville and of course the one here in Houston as well...

Later! OL J R
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSCF6885.JPG
Views: 38
Size:  1.02 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSCF6884.JPG
Views: 22
Size:  1.06 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSCF6886.JPG
Views: 26
Size:  1.11 MB  Click image for larger version