View Single Post
Old 08-20-2019, 09:47 PM
Master Modeler

To bring this back to the original topic (I know, spoilsport ) - I received an order from AC Supply today that included examples of both the new Boosted Bertha and the Gryphon glider, but also three Phantoms.

The new version of the Phantom is complete except for adhesives. It even includes the wadding. The cutaway motor is pre-made so none of that cutting out the vacuum-formed part and painting it. The body tube is 5.5 inches long, so it builds up into a model exactly the same size as the Alpha III.

The new clear fin unit and nose cone are not quite as crystal clear as the 1207 Phantoms from “back in the day” but have a very slightly frosted appearance. This won’t detract from the purpose of the model.

All in all I’m really pleased to see this one back. I’ll be giving one to the Museum of Flight for use in their Amelia’s Aero Club program and one to South Seattle College for use by their rocketry club and newly-created NAR section.

I’ll post a side-by-side with a vintage Phantom after I assemble this one.

The Boosted Bertha uses the new 18mm screw-on motor retainers, which is a nice touch.

Speaking of which, I got a couple of packages of those in this order as well - three sets to a package. The retainer is pretty light - 2.3g for a set, which is 0.9g heavier than an Estes motor hook (the one from the new Phantom, to be particular). A quick dry fit with a model in progress on my workbench says that if you put a motor block in the usual place (for a 1/4 inch motor overhang aft of the tube) these new retainers will be perfectly situated. The motor will protrude 1/8 of an inch aft of the portion of the retainer that you glue to the motor tube and the retaining cap has plenty of threads to go on about two turns and then snug down against the motor. Nice.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE