View Single Post
Old 04-01-2020, 02:15 PM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
The MRC Concept II product line was a re-boot of the original MRC rocket line which did not perform as well as expected.

Bill Stine was hired to revamp the whole product line and CONCEPT II was the result.

As Bill was designing kits for the Concept II line, there was one model he really wanted to make but the rights belonged to another company.

Back in 1988, Bill worked with Scott Branche and myself at Enertek in Phoenix.
After the announcement of the initial Enertek product line several hobby distributors/vendors told the Enertek management that while the big mid-power kits were nice 'real' model rocketry was in smaller kits i.e. Estes.

Bill tasked Scott and I with coming up with a line of smaller kits which would fly on nothing bigger than a 18mm 'D' motor.

Scott and I discussed this assignment. Scott designed around twelve new models and we presented them to Bill.
Bill wasn't impressed with our presentation but some of the model ideas were darn good.
One was an updated version of the Centuri Orion kit which would be called Ironman.
Enertek soon after closed up shop and the assets were bought and became part of AeroTech/ISP.

Bill really liked the Ironman kit design but AeroTech now owned the rights to it.
Bill spoke with the AeroTech/ISP management and received permission to manufacture the Ironman model.

...And the rest is history.

That’s really awesome, I love the way some Enertek designs worked their way into other incarnations, your initiator being the most obvious, the Strong Arm, Arcas and the Quest Striker AGM. I had no idea the Iron Man (Which I built when it was released) had Enertek lineage. I am waiting for a box of parts from Estes which will allow me to clone some of the 2.5 and 2” Enertek designs which were all really nice.