View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 10:21 PM
That 70's Rocketeer

Next is an Estes K-16 Delta. This one was almost a rebuild. Only one fin was unbroken, I successfully removed it, but decided to not keep it. So, I cut all new fins, lots of balsa for these. I saved the launch lugs and the remnants of the old fins came off fairly clean. The old glue was brittle and peeled off the tubes like tape. The instructions have you mount the booster fins canted to induce spin on the way up and then the 2nd stage has the fins on straight to halt the spin for stability once the second stage kicks in so a picture can be taken on ejection without being blurry. One of the real prizes in the bottom of the box I bought was a Camroc to go with it, it's in very good shape. I don't ever plan to try taking pictures with the Camroc, too much work to cut the film and develop it, and there are much better and far easier digital solutions available today. But it will display nice on top of the finished Delta.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Delta1.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  130.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Delta2.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  104.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Delta3.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  141.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Delta4.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  100.0 KB  

"You know, it, uh, won't fly unless somebody pushes the button." From the movie October Sky.

I am SAM # 0167
NAR 98303 Southwestern Ohio Rocketry Association (SORA) #624
https://www.rocketryohio.com