View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al
it;'s the forward swept fin bird, I have NO idea on the fin patterns, but maybe I can get close

The pattern I drew for the t-shirt ad (in dragon photo first 3 issues or so) was from a fin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al
Stargate Aero-Ram, but as noted above, we neglected to make patterns for future posterity, hence my fervor now.

Larry Broadbent made accurate drawings for his CRm ads. They are accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al
no payload ? . still not certain on the fins,

I vaguely recall 9" length for the fins. CR not at shroud inflection point to allow for the roots to go up in a bit. There is a photo in CRm #1 with Gary and Melodi holding a black Ace Fugue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al
Squid I have never been able to get dowel info on, so now I htink I can do it - got info from another source it had a drilled balsa block to stick the dowels in ? but is that true ? ( lot of work to machine ) . any idea of the angles ?

The angle is measurable on the photo I gave you. The rear of the tube had a ring and there was another ring about 2" or so up on the BT-11 mount, so that distance, whatever it really was, set the angle. Use a reamer to start the holes. They become elipsoid by force. Secret Ace Squid production info posted in public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al
Allegro Largo, per Crm pics, and online here : http://www.northernohiotra.com/history/ldrsgallery.html
suggest a THREE cluster, CRm states multiple places that they were flwon on '3xG62', etc....triple 1.8/1.9" tubes seem to fit nicely into a BT39, so seems to make sense, not sure on the mounts, 29mm in the 1.8 ? or 38 ? ( this being pre-38mm, I thought ) .

That's right, three not 4. Whatever fits comfortably. The 1.8" is an egglofter tube BTW. It later became the basis for 54mm casting tube.

Korey was a heavy 1.5" 38mm advocate and felt it should be mass-market. He is right. I popularized the size, had motors made to it by IBCo and others and it was of course copied by others.

The Allegro Largo was for 29mm motors, such as the CD G62 or the EJ G76. There were a limited number of CD#1 H's still and IBCo was really there with the 29mm H160 and 38mm I200 as flown at LDRS-1 years later. There were some Crown/SSRS H's as well but not many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al
2.34" OD in the original Enerjet 2250 tubes - and FSI tubes. never put that together with the BT23 designation. I have some 2.4" tubes I got from Chris when NCR went under, always figured they were same as Ace - I have an Ace 2.4" Allegro cone ( long balsa one ), and it;s tight but fits. thought they were 2.4", so will have to mic one.

NCR were "bad clones" and should be ignored for all historical purposes. The EJ tube is 2.25 x 2.34 hence the 2250 designation.

Ace was 2.34 ID and did not slide in. It was 050 wall.

BTW EJ 2650 was 2.65" ID and about 2.74" OD. Minimax style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al
BT-70HD is 2.175" ID and 040 wall - as USR uses, NOT 2.25" loc, or AAA 2.17 OD thick wall.... BT70HD as offered by Semroc is real close, I believe.

Semroc is close. LOC went the route of being as proprietary as possible. They have 2.15" ID 54mm not 2.175, 1.52" ID (a good size), 2.54, 3.00, 3.90. Nose cones to fit. They all have similar thick walls IIRC. PML and others cloned their sizes so there is compatibility there.

USR BT-22 2.175" fits 3x24mm
USR BT-26 2.60" fits 4x24mm and 3x29mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al
BT-80HD - question here is if the wall was thicker inner or outward then Estes,

Same ID as BT-80 but thicker wall, hence BT-80 HD. Hey Estes, wanna sell me 1000 PNC-80 alpha?

Just hysterical Jerry - er historical

IBCo had the first I69 in history . . . . 38mm