View Single Post
Old 06-13-2005, 10:51 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanel
I'm looking to clone a Centuri Stiletto (2 stage, series 7 body tubes) - Unfortunately, the plans on JimZ's site do not have a parts list or fin patterns. Can anyone provide such or give me some measurements?

Thanks in advance...

Without having a kit to measure from, I would look at the "typical" body tube lengths used by Centuri, and then compare those with what we now have available through SEMROC.

Example, the booster is almost assuredly 3". Unlike Estes, who used 2.75" tubes for their 18mm motor mounts, Centuri used 3" tubes for their motor mounts.

SEMROC part equivalent is the ST-730. The coupler is called the HTC-7B.

Tricky part is the main body and the nose cone. Let's check the nose cone first...

Moldin' Oldies says their match for that cone is the PNC-76. Checking with the Centuri catalog against the balsa cones, the BC-76 is listed as 3.3" long. Remember that length. If you want a plastic cone (actually a resin cone) instead of a balsa cone, order from Mike.

If you want a balsa nose cone, then the SEMROC part is BC-733. This is a 3.3" ogive cone.

Finally, the sustainer tube. The 1978 catalog says the length was 18.25" for the model. Subtracting 6.3" (or just a tad over 6.25", notice...) from 18.25" (or 18.3") gives us a body tube length of 12". Keep in mind, Centuri was notorius for mis-stating the model lengths in their catalogs.

SEMROC sells this tube as the ST-7120.

With some 1/16" thick balsa sheet for the fins, and a few other odd parts from SEMROC, you'll have as close a clone of this model as you'll find anywhere.

Craig McGraw