View Single Post
Old 02-21-2021, 12:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
my only response to "sweetened" pistons with BP is when does an igniter no longer become an igniter and it becomes "sweetening".....

for example, one of the issues that have always dogged piston launchers is ignition......so is it cheating or sweetening to use an electrically ignited single flash pan that has a little BP in it to ignite the motor?

I agree that with your examples something is obviously amiss, and the fact no protest was lodged tells me even more. To not upset the applecart. To this day we don't really know what's inside the Russian or some eastern European pistons......I wonder if silicon chalking produces any gases when lit?

As I see it, if the "igniter" significantly adds to the pressure inside the piston, then it is "sweetening".

Of course, the only way to prove this would be to either randomly pull models off the flight line for a "tear-down inspection" of the piston and the "igniter" OR have each competitor "supervised" during prep and right up until the model & piston is placed on the flight line. If the model is taken down, for any reason, the process repeats.

Dave F.