View Single Post
Old 08-17-2019, 10:04 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwtoelle
Personally, I would leave Centuri reissues to eRockets/Semroc. At least Semroc uses the correct tubing sizes. The last time Estes issued Centuri designs, Estes tubing was used instead of Centuri tubes.

Yes, I guess I am a purist also. With all due respect to prior re-issues, i don't like a classic re-issue that looks 'similar' to the original, I want it to look/be exaxtly like the original. Which is why for the very most part, I build original kits, not re-issues. It is certainly more expensive going that route, but I want to try to recapture the full effect of building the many, many kits I missed in my youth simply because I could not afford them then.

But I have purchased some of the more significant re-issues such as the Estes re-issue of the Centuri Saturn 1b in the very early 1990s and the more recent 1/45 Little Joe Ii. Though I had orignals of those, the price point on the re-issues was just too good to pass up.

I don't mind upscales as an *additional* option, but if given a choice between a clean, true reproduction or an upscale, I'll go with the former every time.

But I am very, very happy to see the renewed 'freshness' in leadership at Estes. I think that bodes well not only for us as consumers, but hopefully for Estes employees also.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970