View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 12:39 PM
Junior Rocketeer

if you want a quick way to get into 3d design (and useful for rocketry too)

tinkercad.com its free and quite powerful (though pretty low poly)

you won't be making too detailed a saturn v with this but I make simple nose cones and centering rings and fin cans with it and you can IMPORT STL files as well and mess with them add them to your own stuff etc..

quite powerful very easy to learn and free

if you want to dabble in 3d printing. Ender 3 without hesitation.

$180 with a 230x230x250 build volume and the quality is out of this world especially when you consider the price. I have 4 of them amongst my 54 printers.

revisioning is done now so buying an ender 3 will get you the latest finished revised model. very impressive little machine and its an AIO (all in one) no break out box etc.. portable.

Ender 3 Amazon https://amzn.to/2GVALgK
Ender 3 Gearbest https://goo.gl/R4iRpw

gerabest is $180 amazon is around $240. one is cheaper the other gets to your door in 2 days.

those are AFLinks (this is how I am working toward making my living now) I have many videos on the ender 3 and how to overcome its quirks if you experience any.

if you have any questions ask away I will do my best to answer.

PLA works fine for rockets. just make sure to use a paper tube up the middle to protect from heat and a stand off to protect from splash on ignition.

your biggest issue especially for thin (fins) or hollow (tubes cones) parts is AMBIENT HEAT. you MUST and I repeat MUST leave your windows cracked in your car in the summer.

this plastic will soften and warp at 50c which you can EASILY reach in a close car in the summer. I leave my wing windows open in the minivan and have no issues.

adding infill will increase the temperatures they can withstand (gives parts structure) but this adds mass and time to the print and cost.

ABS is nice but a pain in the *&* to print with. you really need an enclosure (printed solid has an ender 3 enclosure) I am experimenting with ASA but its hard to beat $10 a kilo for PLA when its on sale.

nylon is amazing but a pita to print with. needs to be dried use garrolite for the print surface and print slow and hot. you will be replacing the bowden tube often (they are cheap) since you need to print at 260c which is the upper limit of PTFE tubes and degrades them rapidly (couple months)

if you don't need super high detail best way to really make a part strong is a larger nozzle. I Have one ender 3 running a 1.2mm nozzle. INSANELY strong parts and "FAST" too since your extruding so much plastic per layer. .4mm nozzle my 100mm nose cone takes over 6.5 hrs. with the 1.2mm nozzle? 1.75 hrs.