View Single Post
Old 11-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Master Modeler

I searched around for "foil" material and found a company on the internet for someone, I asked for samples of different colors and materials. I choose the material that best suited the color of the eraser and gold furrel. It just so happens that Estes was able to recreate what I had found.

The reason why the fin unit isn't clear, and it was originally discussed, is that the engine mount, which is blue, could be seen through the clear fin unit distracting from the overall looks.

At first when it was discussed, I was all in favor of it, but, then, I realized that the engine mount would protrude through the center and it didn't look good.

I used a basic nose cone and tried to make it look like the end of a pencil, but, those in marketing and R&D came up with the pointed nose cone, which is molded to color, and then, it is colored in a second process.

I must admit, the nose cone as it is now looks much better than my original, but, I think it is much too pointed.

That is what prototypes are all about, you get a general idea for a rocket, the color, the name, and you pass the idea around, and everyone puts their 2 cents in, then the final design is approved.

Like I had mentioned previously, when they saw this for the first time, it got an immediate GO, and then the required steps were taken to put it into production.

It a hit with the kids in school and has gotten great reviews.

I will tell about the 36 D Square soon, it's interesting......