View Single Post
Old 02-19-2020, 10:57 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
My reaction too... Ahhh the Star Trooper... LOL
Who woulda thunk that by this day, Centuri lives on as the Star Trooper? I mean people on this forum are like, bring back the Sky Lab!.. but what has longevity? Javelin... Micron.... Star Trooper...

Also, you have the plastic Mercury capsule and tower (first issued by Centuri late 1970), the 1/45th Little Joe II capsule and tower (first issued by Centuri in latter '68), and the Enerjet 1340 plastic fin can (first issued around late '72), ALL being used in current Estes kits (well, I think technically the Little Joe II kit has just now been listed as out of production).

But still, here are three Centuri items -- the oldest over 50 years old, and the other two not far behind -- still in production, and that 1340 plastic fin can has been used in 4-5 different Estes kits now since the late 70s or 1980 (Challenger II launch vehicle for the Astrocam I think was the first Estes use of that fin can).

I understand what you are saying, and it is a shame that more of those older Centuri designs have not been re-issued than they have (and some of those bring backs from about 9-10 years ago, of which the Star Trooper was one, were not true to their originals and suffered greatly because of it...'similar' is not close enough).

But the residual DNA of Centuri is probably a little more infusive than might readily be apparent.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970