View Single Post
Old 07-20-2019, 08:19 AM
The_Ripper

This timeline of this thread doesn't flow very well .....

I started this thread July 6th 2007 as the July 20th anniversary was approaching which always lead to discussions with my dad about his involvement with the Apollo projects when he worked at the Michoud Assembly Facility in New Orleans with The Boeing Company working on the S-IC and also a summer when we lived near the Saturn V S-IC Static Test Facility at Marshall Space Flight Center.
He gave me some of his memorabilia in 2007 that we was very proud of.

I didn't post again to this thread until 7-18-2014 the day he passed away. As the July 20th anniversary was approaching the 45 year mark we again had discussions about how he contributed to making history.

Now today five years later, I post again on this most special day .....
When my brother and sister and law were cleaning out my dads house after his passing a few more items were found in the old house that I posted images for below. There was a letter that accompanied that commemorative medallion in my first post when that medallion was given to him. I scanned a picture of that letter last night with the medallion and posted it here.

Also, there is an Apollo 11 sticker still stuck to a page signed by the general manager of the launch vehicle branch at Boeing. Hard to get a good scan of it with my iPad and the edges have yellowed over the years and don't look that bad in person. The sticker is pristine.

There was also a thick sheet with sketches of the Apollo 11 astronauts and their signatures also found with the two other items pictured.

I am sure he would have shared this with me in 2007 and probably lost track over the years as to where he put these things. As Jerry mentioned in post #20 the preservation of history is the most important thing and the reason for my post today. I had never seen these things before and preserving them on Scott's forum, well ..... what better place to put something like this!

Five years later and I still really miss my dad and thank all of you for your condolences in 2014. He was a really special guy. I still remember 50 years ago sitting on the sofa with him as an 8 year old kid waiting to see the excitement of the Apollo 11 mission as it unfolded. Those of us that were old enough to remember the mission and experience it first hand know it really was something special, something to remember, and most of all something to be proud of as human beings and most certainly as Americans to have accomplished this.

HULU just added the NASA channel to my line up so I have some specials I have set on my DVR for later today.

I hope all of my friends on the forum have a great day today and share in the excitement of this wonderful anniversary!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Scan Jul 19, 2019 at 9.49 PM.jpeg
Views: 43
Size:  1.11 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Scan Jul 19, 2019 at 9.49 PM-1.jpeg
Views: 38
Size:  651.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Scan Jul 19, 2019 at 9.53 PM.jpeg
Views: 35
Size:  1.27 MB  
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates