View Single Post
Old 07-20-2019, 01:09 PM
Apollo Nut

Steve-

Thanks for posting these very special momentos from your father for all of us to see. Bitter sweet times for you, I'm sure. But you have some wonderful memories of him and of those days.

It is also good to see you post here again...it seems as if it has been some time since I've seen you post here.

Today is a very memorable day for all of us who can remember this day 50 years ago. I was just shy of my seventh birthday at the time, but recall the night of July 20, 1969 very vividly. It, and the events surrounding Apollo 11, is what got me started in all this 'space and rocket stuff' and I haven't lost interest since.

One of my very vivid memories that night 50 years ago as we gathered around the TV waiting (and waiting...and waiting, so it seemed) for the astronauts to appear was asking my Mom over and over again "Is THIS it??!!", only to be told "No, it's still just a simulation". And not really knowing completely what a 'simulation' was, but understanding that the real thing was not yet happening. Finally, I recall that black and white image appearing on TV and that for the first few seconds or so the image was upside down.

I lost my Mom a little over two years ago after a long battle with Lewy Body Dementia (the same Robin Williams had) and watched what it did to her. It tore my heart out.

But today I think of her and other dear family and friends who were around 50 years ago and even just five years ago during the 45th anniversary, and try to smile and rejoice in the achievement all those many years ago. I know they would want me to remember the good times. The times when we all soared.

Your Dad's work and achievements helped us all soar that day 50 years ago, and today we salute all who made it possible.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970