View Single Post
Old 08-14-2015, 09:04 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

The first two photos are an Estes Cherokee modified to accept 29mm F motors, with an Enerjet F67-14. This was flown by Eric Ferm. His favorite rocket on steroids. The Centuri wick igniter smoke can be seen in this photo. I will have more commentary on the photo down below. The second photo is the Cherokee F67 after liftoff. We were using 3/16" rods on the out pads. This setup is typical of the CRS torture rack system used until I started hosting Fest launches at Lucerne starting in 1985 with Misfire Alley. CRS had 3 such 6-pads and out pads for another 24 rockets, and often used them all!

The next two photos are of Rocket Car. This was an untethered run with I believe a D12 motor by Vince Palmire, who is now a research physician in Florida. The preparation is overseen by RSO Eric Ferm (orange hat). Launch results in a certain amount of ducking because at no time was remote distance considered as a safety method.

The first photo shows a wide range of interesting details. To the left is the City of Claremont truck we checked out for this trip. We needed something to haul all that equipment and supplies! On the out pad is a Nike-Ram with F67-14 motor about to fly. The tables and chairs are actually equipment borrowed from Taylor Hall in Claremont. This photo clearly shows the pad, how it's wired and the rotating and tilting fixtures for each pad. One rod even has a clothes pin. The guy on the far right is my dad, Bob Irvine, an Electronics Technology Professor at Cal Poly Pomona (RIP).

Circa 1970.

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  CRS Cherokee 1.png
Views: 123
Size:  1.20 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  CRS Cherokee 2.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  236.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  CRS Rocket car 1.jpg
Views: 81