View Single Post
Old 02-24-2019, 01:50 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default RockSim Simulation Guidelines

I am relatively new to the rocket simulation world and I am looking to leverage the knowledge and experience of those that may be further down the road. I'm currently using RockSim as I've been simulating various part and engine configurations for a 1.68x Orbital Transport booster / glider upscale. I've enjoyed coming up to speed by stepping myself though a "piece by piece" rebuild of a 1x OT RockSim file and adding some design tweaks along the way.

As part of my learning, I've reviewed many RockSim / OpenRocket threads on this forum, watched many video tutorials, etc., etc., but have not yet found discussions or guidance on a number of questions that I've raised in my efforts to this point, specifically:

(1) What is an optimal Static Margin (besides just "Stable")? When a rocket is indicated as "Overstable" or "Unstable", how much is too much?
(2) Should a rocket reach stable flight minimum velocity before reaching the end of a launch guide? If not necessarily, how soon should it or how long is too long?
(3) What is the maximum velocity (of force) can be handled for a typical low power rocket (e.g., well-constructed paper tube / balsa fin construction) without risk of shredding?
(4) What is the maximum velocity that is low enough for a chute release (e.g., for a ripstop nylon chute)?
(5) What is the maximum landing velocity (or force) that can tolerated with little to no impact damage for that typical rocket?

I know the simulation software essentially lets you know if your "within limits", but I just would like to have a better understanding of how some of the various limits are determined or the ranges that are acceptable / optimal. I know some answers may yield a lot of "it depends" - it is "rocket science" after all, but I would appreciate any info that others can provide.

Looking forward to the conversation...