View Single Post
Old 03-02-2019, 07:45 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveRKP
Bruce, Thanks for the additional details and the sim files - I'll be looking to try them out and get my head around them over the weekend.

I was not aware of the original OT config - my understanding was based on a Semroc repro edition (KV-66) that I built last year. Just wondering if either of the wing orientations provide better stability.

As for the motor tube config, the file I sent you was a 29mm config with the mass object representing the engine retainer. I have a variant of the file where the 29mm tube is unchecked as a motor mount then I added another component, an Estes 29mm to 24mm Engine adapter.

One additional question in my current mix - the shuttle is typically build with elevons fixed upward at an (approx 30 degree angle). The default RockSim depictions have them incorporated into the wing with no elevation. Is there a way to define elevons angled to the shuttle wing. I could not come up with a novice way to configure elevons in RockSim (see pic of the Semroc 1x version for reference).

David,

After many attempts, I have been unable to position the elevons at an upward angle. I have even tried to edit the RockSim file and force the software to do so! I attached a RockSim file for the Orbital Transport with the wings mounted at 90 degrees from the vertical as you mentioned they are in the Semroc kit. As per RockSim, this doesn't make any significant difference in the calculated center of pressure CP 15.5361 in the original design versus a CP of 19.5368 in the Semroc configuration, the CG's are nearly identical off by one in the last digit.

By the way, nice work on the Spacecapsule/Glider in the picture you provided!
Attached Files
File Type: rkt oop_estes_Orbital_Transport_Semroc.rkt (173.7 KB, 33 views)
Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055