Thread: Mystery rocket
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 08:42 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
The BMS school rocket almost nearly perfect. It's a decent sized BT-50 kit. The fins could be shaped a bit different to lessen damage potential, he could offer it with chute or streamer (comes with streamer), and it could be offered with 13mm mount to make it more affordable for schools and scouts to do multiple flights. Unfortunately, it costs as much as the Generic E2X from AC Supply, which looks more appealing to non-rocket folks and comes with a chute.

I think it is as perfect as perfect can be. and I am a "competitor". I would use a BT-55 version if I was still teaching rocket classes to 42 kids per class, twice a year in 7 elementary schools to 5th and 6th grade students. It is easier to build a bigger rocket and it doesn't go as high so you can actually use B and C motors as well and get more flight variety.

With the BT-50 school rocket you can really only use 1/2A or A and most kids prefer simply A8-5 within a school yard. Some brave souls use a B6-6, but might be their last decision. I liked the Sizzler better than the Alpha for groups.

I liked the Estes Comet.

Jerry