View Single Post
Old 11-12-2009, 03:43 AM
Addicted Collector.. now Rockets

Default Top 20 Estes Exotic Kits

Simple question. If you had to pick the finest Estes exotic design kits for a Top 20 list, which would they be? Hope that you can share the reasoning behind the selection.

I can start with the USS Andromeda (#1273), S.S.Cassiopeia (#1369), Alien Explorer (#1372) and the Excalibur (#1339). There are other favorites also but hope to hear alternative opinions.

After awhile, building 3FN and 4FN rocket kits loses its attraction as I become bored easily unless attempting challenging projects. Building the LOC Legacy (my first true mid power kit) was interesting from the epoxy perspective and learning fillet technique. But it is a 3FN.

Working on the S.S. Cassiopeia, for example, takes careful planning and detailed construction techniques, let alone finishing the model with the artcard colors and proper decal application. I may be more of a "modeler" than a "rocketeer".