View Single Post
Old 02-29-2008, 04:15 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Bob,

First, I'll add that I am going to build another -- to fly on 18mm D reloads. Now, more on the hijacking, and I promise not to do this any further!

I should have taken pictures along the way. I did add the picture below, taken early, after the first priming. But, what I did was simple. I just used Evergreen and Plastruct pieces to add detail. I cut flat sheet to make the various "panels". You can get all these materials at any hobby store. But, I also grafted pieces from various sci-fi models -- pieces of an engine, etc. Sometimes I cut and sand the piece to fit. I am always looking for models that have pieces that can be used on rockets. The Star Wars X-wing is a literal gold mine for parts!

The toughest part of this modification was the "U" channel I grafted around the diameter of the capsule. This was the first piece I did, since the capsule had a big ding in it, probably from getting bounced around before I ever bought it. I had to heat it with a heat gun to allow it to soften and bend. I'd glue part of it, let it cool, and continue.

I used liquid cement, and used a small paint brush to wick it between the parts, and the capsule. For some holes, I used brass tubing as a punch. I also have a small set of jeweler's files to shape parts.

I sanded it with 400 to 600 grit where I had problems, like the occasional glue smear. I then primed and if needed, used filler to blend. It isn't perfect, but I learned enough to make each subsequent add-on better.

The best trick I learned was to use gloss clear coat under the decals, and then flat coat clear over them to restore a more natural finish.

I am no great "plastic modeler". Just took my time, and spent a lot of time sanding/filling/priming. Try it, you'll like it!

So make a silicone mold of it now.

18mm D's are vaporware. The AT and Apogee D's are 100% revenue to the manufacturer. A dealer sold item is 40% to the manufacturer. Even with mass-production cost savings I would expect a $14 price point.

Jerry