View Single Post
Old 02-15-2019, 08:18 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Yep hard to go by museum stuff, particularly the ones that have been on outside display... the get corroded or paint or coatings become discolored or peel and get painted over with "whatever is available" or "whatever they can afford" and that's that... particularly years ago when keeping it "as close to original as possible" wasn't any particular priority...

The writing appears to be a chart that helps with wiring and orientation for translation... the motors had to be wired correctly to fire in the appropriate pairs or orientation to provide the required rotation of the vehicle in the +/- X, +/- Y, and +/- Z axes, as well as thrusting forward and aft, and translating the spacecraft up/down and side to side in those planes...

Later! OL J R

I think the JSC Saturn V was completely restored/repainted when it was enclosed, and maybe the same for the KSC and ASRC Saturns as well.

I am surprised, somewhat, to see the JSC Service Module (and quads) with the paint scheme it shows. The main 'body' of the Service Module has been rendered in a plain gray, which I'm pretty sure NO flight Saturn V ever had. The radiator panels as white is correct, but the solid white quad boxes is not.

John Pursley, who posts here some, was heavily involved with the JSC project as I recall and is one of the foremost Saturn V modelers/historian. Maybe he can fill us in at some point on some of those color choices, but they seem out of place to me when compared to many, many flight vehicle images.

The KCS Service Module and Command Module you featured in your first batch of photos is, as I recall, actual leftover flight hardwear and appears to have never been mollested from a 'restoration' effort. I have looked over that hardware there on a number of visits to KSC over the years and have some extensive photos of it, but they are not easily at hand (a la paper prints).

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970