Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrofte
The fiscal cliff isn't that big a deal. It is only the Bush tax cuts going away. We lived perfectly fine before that...

Not just Bush tax cuts, though it's always listed first. It also axes some Obama tax cuts, and for some reason some Clinton spending cuts, which would increase debt.

Tax cuts:

2001/2003 Bush tax cuts - individual income tax rates, pared back the estate tax, lowered rates for investment income (such a capital gains and dividends) and expanded a number of tax credits, including the child tax credit.

2009 stimulus - expansions of Obama's Earned Income Tax Credit, which provides aid to low-income workers, as well as the child credit, and the American Opportunity tax credit, which helps families pay for college tuition.

Payroll tax holiday - included in the December 2010 tax deal and slashed the payroll tax rate on employees from 6.2 percent to 4.2 percent.

Alternative Minimum Tax - baseline tax for high earners

Extenders - corporate tax breaks that need to be extended regularly.

Spending cuts:

The sequester - Mandated by the Budget Control Act of 2011 (better known as the debt ceiling compromise), this institutes a 2 percent cut in physician and other providers’ Medicare payments, and a 7.6 to 9.6 percent across the board cut in all discretionary spending, except programs for low-income Americans. The cuts are evenly divided between defense and nondefense programs, with analysts predicting a crippling effect on all affected departments and agencies. (The military budget will be hacked by $500 billion while we have soldiers in harm's way and escalating issues in Iran and N. Korea.)

Budget caps - Also in the Budget Control Act, these set a firm limit on discretionary spending within which policymakers must operate.

Doc fix - Passed every Congress for 15 years now but lapsing at the end of 2012, reverses temporarily cuts that Congress passed, and former President Bill Clinton signed, as a deficit reduction measure in 1997. The cuts, known as the “Sustainable Growth Rate” or SGR, require that growth in provider payments not exceed growth in Gross Domestic Product. If the doc fix is not extended, physician payments would fall by almost 30 percent, dwarfing the cuts enacting as part of the debt ceiling deal. That would cut spending by $14 billion next year.

Unemployment insurance - Unemployment insurance was expanded following the recession, and due to the slow recovery this expansion has been regularly extended.

Debt ceiling raised:

The Bipartisan Policy Center estimates we’ll have to raise the debt limit by anywhere between $730 billion and $1.25 trillion to avoid the debt ceiling for all of 2013 (depending on whether the Dec. 31 fiscal changes measures are enacted or not) and between $1.3 trillion and $2.2 trillion in 2014.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:19 PM
Master Modeler

Don't know how this thread got soooo far off track. For an update, I got contacted last week by A Boston Globe reporter about store brand Twinkies. Market Basket brand. I don't care for them as much as the original Twinkies. I do like Walmart brand Twinkies.

Article. It's in the Business section for 1/12/2013 By Sarah Shemkus

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...l?event=event12

Does anybody remember what 1970's TV character had them in his lunchbox almost every day?

No Googleing or cheating!
Old 01-15-2013, 05:04 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazarus6660
Does anybody remember what 1970's TV character had them in his lunchbox almost every day?

Easy -- Archie Bunker / All In The Family

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 01-15-2013, 05:07 PM
Star Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazarus6660
Don't know how this thread got soooo far off track. For an update, I got contacted last week by A Boston Globe reporter about store brand Twinkies. Market Basket brand. I don't care for them as much as the original Twinkies. I do like Walmart brand Twinkies.

Article. It's in the Business section for 1/12/2013 By Sarah Shemkus

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...l?event=event12

Easy with those my friend. Don't go looking for substitutes.They got some bad stuff in them. We still want to see in good health and at the launches!
NAR #92766
Old 01-19-2013, 01:38 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Easy -- Archie Bunker / All In The Family

Ding, Ding, Ding! We have a winner Johnny! Right you are.