Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2024, 08:58 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les
Also Ollie-OOP

I think there is another, but need to search

Thanks for the plug! I'm always interested in buying kits for myself and reselling them.
I'm not on here very often but anyone can contact me through Facebook at OLLIE-OOP ROCKETRY or email me ollieoop3@gmail.com
Toby
Old 07-25-2024, 07:29 AM
Lost his Drifter

The price of collectables valued by the Baby Boomer (and even X-ers) is going to crash, hard. Millennials are already being flooded with "collectibles" (i.e. junk) left in their parent's estates. There will be fewer and fewer hobbyists and collectors in the coming 10-20 years interested in our build piles, so get building or start cleaning house, today!
What Wolf said...
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 07-25-2024, 08:45 AM
Master Modeler

There is a sweet spot for toy collectable value. As people age, they earn more (generally) and are able to afford things they may have missed or had in their childhood. As they grow past that age, the demand declines and with it the value. In the larger world of things people collect, like cars, art, historical relics, etc., prices rise and fall with what is fashionable or relevant for the time.

Also technology affects value by bringing collectibles to a larger market?ebay, Mercari and the like. If you collect for value and resale, you are gambling. I sold all of my stuff years ago before the internet became a thing. I did well but not nearly what I might have done if I had them sold them online. Now I get what I want for personal appeal and that?s it.

It?s a difficult habit to break.

Apologies if this has been covered in previous posts.
Old 07-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraeford
Now I get what I want for personal appeal and that's it.

It's a difficult habit to break.

I recently bought a 1968 Centuri catalog only because I wanted to look at it. I am not a collector, but I do have a bunch of catalogs that fit into a box. I tend not to invest in ephemera. It's just personal appeal, I get it.
Old 07-25-2024, 12:14 PM
Dazed and Confused

My collection is for my enjoyment, not for an investment. I'm not concerned with what my kids do with it. I suspect they may keep one or two built kits that they have some history with. The rest, they may see if some of it will sell, or they may decide it isn't worth the hassle and throw it all away. A lot would probably hinge on when I go and how swamped they are with their own lives. My wife would probably just leave it all up here in the cave to rot.
Old 07-25-2024, 12:46 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

This question has been a discussion topic between myself and some rocketeer friends.

We're still trying to come up with an useful answer.

One thing that has happened is that AeroTech now has a Museum of Composite Propellant Hobby Rocketry.

They are looking for items to display that involve composite propellant motors (Kits, brochures, etc.).

I donated my Initiator #1 production kit (Still in the box) along with Vulcan/Road Runner/Dorffler motors. I also gave some Enertek items.

Rockaholic dropped off a complete set of Tripolitan/High Power Rocketry magazines.

Give them a call. Just don't expect them to take anything and everything.
Old 07-25-2024, 03:04 PM
Old Submariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
Almost? Yes someone, or rather, something made these for this thread. The AI seems to associate brief cases with old men flying off to heaven.

These images are both beautiful AND spooky. The bearded guys make me think of David Letterman.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 07-25-2024, 07:35 PM
Aggressor Aerospace

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
My collection is for my enjoyment, not for an investment. I'm not concerned with what my kids do with it. I suspect they may keep one or two built kits that they have some history with. The rest, they may see if some of it will sell, or they may decide it isn't worth the hassle and throw it all away. A lot would probably hinge on when I go and how swamped they are with their own lives. My wife would probably just leave it all up here in the cave to rot.

What he said! I collect for me. The kids can keep (as kits, or build), sell, or trash. I got what I wanted from my collection. If something has to outlive you, or go up in resale price, to be of value, then you could argue that vacations are a waste of money. When you die and turn to goo or ash, the memories are lost and very few relatives will want your photos. So don't waste your money on that trip! Or, understand we get one shot at this life, so live and be happy.
Old 07-25-2024, 07:41 PM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
I donated my Initiator #1 production kit (Still in the box) along with Vulcan/Road Runner/Dorffler motors. I also gave some Enertek items.

Rockaholic dropped off a complete set of Tripolitan/High Power Rocketry magazines.

Give them a call. Just don't expect them to take anything and everything.

Maybe for the rocketry cognoscenti elite...