Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2008, 01:25 PM
Craftsman

Default Recommended fin materials

Hey, I mostly lurk around here, I post occasionally, but now I've got a question for the experts here.

I'm building a semi-upscale of a Big Bertha out of a postal tube. Sandman is turning a nose cone for me, and I've got most every thing figured out but I can't decide on what to use for fins. I was thinking 1/8in aircraft ply, but thought I'd throw the question out there.

Would 1/8in ply be over kill? I'm building this rocket for 24mm reloads, so the biggest motor it will see will be the F39, at until I can get the new 24/60 casing. I want it fairly tough, but not over board.

I noticed that poplar plywood is cheaper than aircraft ply. Is it any good? Or will it will have knots and such?

Thanks for any help.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:45 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Since the original Big Bertha has 1/8" fins you may want to go a bit thicker for scale.

The upscale you are building is going to be heavy and those large fins sticking out are going to take some abuse on landing.

For flight 3/16" balsa would work but I'd reccomend 3/16" lite ply (that's the poplar ply) at least or maybe aircraft ply (that's birch ply) which is a tad heavier.

With an F39 you should still get an impressive altitude/

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 12-28-2008, 07:13 PM
Craftsman

Thanks for answering.

I thought about making the fins scale, but since technically I'm measuring off of a Super Big Bertha, and its fins are 1/8in, and this is a 11% up scale, it not much of an increase. I'm really leaning towards the 1/8" aircraft ply now. I just need to find a good supplier (nearest hobby shop is more then 80 miles away)

Again, thanks for everything