Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2023, 10:24 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Holding out for an actually interesting release like the Black Brant XII.
Enough of the 3/4FNC borrrriiiinnnggggg LAME-O guff.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, AGITATION, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, AGGRAVATION, INSTIGATION, NUISANCE-ACTION, and HAVOC !
Old 07-14-2023, 02:05 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by frognbuff
I kinda doubt anything devious is going on. These probably ARE limited run kits. They're also visually boring 3FNC / 4FNC kits for the most part. Like Jeffy said - bring back something fun like the Nike Smoke, or go back to Pro Series I kits like the Impulse, Maxi Force, and the 4X24mm Patriot. I think those would generate way more interest and would likely sell out for real!

The original Pro Series kits were Estes' attempt to compete with the then recently released AeroTech mid-power product line.

The plywood centering rings were 'die-crushed', the fins on the Impulse and Maxi Force were balsa with spruce glued to the edges. The Patriot fins were built up like a model airplane wing with ribs and a heavy paper covering. It also had an aluminum rear plate.

Estes lacking E, F or G motors at the time had to make due (Originally) with clusters of D12 motors. A later production run of these kits allowed the use of the BP E15 motors which had a habit of going FOOM! I attended a launch and photographed a Maxi Force model which had two of the three E15 motors CATO followed by the rocket burning on the ground.

Those kits looked like a quick reaction to the AeroTech product release.

The later Pro Series II models were much simpler and easier to build plus used (re-labeled) AeroTech motors.
Old 07-14-2023, 03:49 PM
Craftsman

The original Pro Series definitely had some interesting models with the Terrier-Sandhawk, Patriot, and Jayhawk. The Nike Smoke and MDRM were probably the most notable in the PSII line.

I built the Argent as my first mid-power rocket and still enjoy flying it on a G40. Great motor. The Nike Smoke also does great on the G40 or G64. There is the rub, to get the type of flight I wanted, I had to go with a AP motor.

I actually liked the E9 for a black powder cluster (minus the CATO feature), nice long burn.

Anyway, the BB XII is what I am most interested in seeing. Also, where is that Mercury Atlas?
Old 07-15-2023, 08:28 AM
Aggressor Aerospace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
The original Pro Series kits were Estes' attempt to compete with the then recently released AeroTech mid-power product line.

The plywood centering rings were 'die-crushed', the fins on the Impulse and Maxi Force were balsa with spruce glued to the edges. The Patriot fins were built up like a model airplane wing with ribs and a heavy paper covering. It also had an aluminum rear plate.

Estes lacking E, F or G motors at the time had to make due (Originally) with clusters of D12 motors. A later production run of these kits allowed the use of the BP E15 motors which had a habit of going FOOM! I attended a launch and photographed a Maxi Force model which had two of the three E15 motors CATO followed by the rocket burning on the ground.

Those kits looked like a quick reaction to the AeroTech product release.

The later Pro Series II models were much simpler and easier to build plus used (re-labeled) AeroTech motors.

I'm well aware of these products. Carefully built, they worked just fine, and I like cluster models. LOVED my Impulse. I didn't mind how the fins were built up and it flew great until I had a CATO. I found the Maxi Force a bit ugly, so never bought one. The Patriot also worked fine (though the aft end could get a bit toasty) and the construction techniques yielded more accurately shaped fins.

In other words - I still say bring them back. By all means, improve them. Use laser-cut rings or offer 29mm mounts. But the Estes forte' is GRAPHICS. Two of the most popular kits of all time - the Red Max and Goblin - are pretty boring designs at heart. But they have WONDERFUL graphics that make them classics. The Pro Series 1 kits actually had interesting paint schemes. The 3FNC/4FNC Pro Series II kits are dull as dirt.

I agree with GH. Bring on the BB XXII.
Old 07-15-2023, 12:31 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001

Bob, if you come across these pics could you post them here? I know I'd like to see them!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 07-15-2023, 12:33 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarYellow
I think it will be the Partizon.

Eeeek! $80 for a Partizon?!

https://estesrockets.com/products/partizon
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 07-15-2023, 01:47 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I wouldn't pay HALF of that $80 for that boring thing.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, AGITATION, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, AGGRAVATION, INSTIGATION, NUISANCE-ACTION, and HAVOC !
Old 07-15-2023, 04:56 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Eeeek! $80 for a Partizon?!

https://estesrockets.com/products/partizon

Yeah, that’s kinda pricey.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 07-15-2023, 08:46 PM
Scale Modeler Extrodinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA_BAR

I actually liked the E9 for a black powder cluster (minus the CATO feature), nice long burn.

I've had a few of the Pro Patriots - first one died an ugly death when - at a late October launch - I'd left my BP motors in the car and it got below freezing overnight. 3 of the four D12-7 engines CATO's (two with case ruptures ). About all I was able salvage was the nose cone and parachute. Painful lesson learned - don't leave BP motors in the car if there is a risk of freezing...
BTW, anyone know what the physics are that can cause a BP motor to CATO if it's frozen?
I built another (used those parts I was able to salvage and a slightly oversized main body tube) - this for 3.75" 24mm motors. Loved that long burn four E9 cluster (and somehow managed to avoid a CATO). It died at the NAR NSL in Alamosa a couple years back when the fiery ejection charges from 4 motors eventually burned through the forward bulkhead (releasing the kevlar shock cord in the process).
I'd picked up an opened but complete original Pro Patriot kit off ebay several years back for a reasonable price - so I proceeded to build that one with a few mods - 3.75" long motor mount, skinned the built up fins with thin plywood instead of paper, Kevlar shock cord mounted away from the motor mount
The four E12 cluster doesn't burn quite as long as the E9s did, but it still flies impressively.

I'd certainly like to see Estes re-release that Pro Patriot - I love that rocket.
Old 07-16-2023, 01:14 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Partizon bring back

I agree. Too much $. I much like the rocket though. I bought one 10 years ago for about half that cost. A stable flier and goes great on AeroTech composite motors. I still take it to launches.