Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2021, 11:00 AM
Master Modeler

Just an FYI, there is, or was, an Aerotech tube, maybe a motor mount tube, that is very, very close to the LT-175. I used that for my pre-Semroc Aero-Dart and Hustler clones.

It is a very sturdy tube. 3D print a cone and centering rings and you've got most of a Aero-Dart right there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  aero-dart_ground.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  527.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  aero-dart_launch_close.JPG
Views: 33
Size:  32.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  hustler_and_me.JPG
Views: 52
Size:  55.6 KB  
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 09-27-2021, 12:06 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Remember that the Enerjet version of the Aero Dart WAS a 2" diameter rocket. So, a 2" diameter Aero Dart would still be a 'proper' replica of a Centuri Aero Dart.

Earl

I admit that I am only directly familiar with the Semroc SLS interpretation of the Aero Dart. After your comment this morning I looked at three or four catalogs on ninfinger.org and Oh.My.Goodness. there are a bunch of variations of models called "Aero Dart".

Three fins, four fins, multiple fin shapes, different diameters, different nose cones...wow. I'd better not go down THAT rabbit hole. The Alpha stuff I've been doing has been bad enough!

Stefan, I have both the SLS Lil' Hustler and the SLS Hustler but have not built either of them yet. I've pretty much beaten a Mini Hustler to death with multiple altimeter tests and while I've always loved the design, those big wide fins sure take a beating even under normal operations....

Added a couple of hours later: I said I didn't want to go down the Aero Dart rabbit hole, but there's some really interesting stuff right here: https://www.oldrocketplans.com/ener...E-2/enjKE-2.htm

This is the version I was thinking of when I mentioned the nose cone shape last night. It also appears to use regular ST-20 tube, NOT LT-175 as the Semroc SLS Aero Dart does. So it's even lighter. Balsa surface-mounted fins, too, rather than TTW.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE

Last edited by BEC : 09-27-2021 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-27-2021, 07:26 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
I admit that I am only directly familiar with the Semroc SLS interpretation of the Aero Dart. After your comment this morning I looked at three or four catalogs on ninfinger.org and Oh.My.Goodness. there are a bunch of variations of models called "Aero Dart".

Three fins, four fins, multiple fin shapes, different diameters, different nose cones...wow. I'd better not go down THAT rabbit hole. The Alpha stuff I've been doing has been bad enough!

Stefan, I have both the SLS Lil' Hustler and the SLS Hustler but have not built either of them yet. I've pretty much beaten a Mini Hustler to death with multiple altimeter tests and while I've always loved the design, those big wide fins sure take a beating even under normal operations....

Added a couple of hours later: I said I didn't want to go down the Aero Dart rabbit hole, but there's some really interesting stuff right here: https://www.oldrocketplans.com/ener...E-2/enjKE-2.htm

This is the version I was thinking of when I mentioned the nose cone shape last night. It also appears to use regular ST-20 tube, NOT LT-175 as the Semroc SLS Aero Dart does. So it's even lighter. Balsa surface-mounted fins, too, rather than TTW.

Re: the Enerjet Aero Dart link.

Yeah, that is the Enerjet version I was referring to in my post. It is a nice looking bird too and can be easily cloned these days, especially if eRockets still carries the Semroc balsa version of that (originally used in the Centuri Orion kit) plastic cone. Otherwise, it is pretty straightforward stuff. It has 3/16” thick balsa fins.

That is the only ‘point’ about the Semroc SLS line is the fins: in order to do the through the wall approach, Carl used thinner plywood fins. Most all the MiniMax kits (though not all) used thicker balasa stock. While the plywood is probably stronger, it looks a little ‘anemic’ on a built model compared to the thicker, more robust looking balsa.

The through the wall approach just was not widely known (or even developed) back in the 60s when the original MiniMax designs were developed. They depended on the silk reinforcement material to beef up the fin/body tube joint.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 09-27-2021, 07:45 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
That is the only ‘point’ about the Semroc SLS line is the fins: in order to do the through the wall approach, Carl used thinner plywood fins. Most all the MiniMax kits (though not all) used thicker balasa stock. While the plywood is probably stronger, it looks a little ‘anemic’ on a built model compared to the thicker, more robust looking balsa.

My Aero Dart has basswood fins, as do the SLS Lil' Hustler and SLS Scorpion that are in my near-term build queue (rather than in one of the over two-dozen plastic bins).

That doesn't really change your point about the thickness of the fins, though.

That said, thinner fins are better for altitude....
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 09-27-2021, 08:22 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
My Aero Dart has basswood fins, as do the SLS Lil' Hustler and SLS Scorpion that are in my near-term build queue (rather than in one of the over two-dozen plastic bins).

That doesn't really change your point about the thickness of the fins, though.

That said, thinner fins are better for altitude....

Yeah, overall the plywood (or basswood as the case may be) is probably stronger, with less drag (as you commented), and the through the wall attachment is better, in general, than surface mount. My comment, really, is almost purely aesthetic in comparison to the original ‘look’ of the MiniMax kits.

Of course, Carl even comments in a number of the various Semroc instruction sets that improvements have been incorporated in many of his ‘bring back’ kits and, as such, were not pure clones of the original kits.

But I recall when I got my first Semroc SLS Kit (long before I got my first original MiniMax vintage kits) from Carl, which was the Hustler in about 06’ and being thrilled that one could get real nice versions of the MiniMax kits soooo many years after they had gone OOP.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 09-27-2021, 11:04 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

As someone who wrote the book (Article) on Enerjet the Aero-Dart kit name had a long history with Centuri originally then Enerjet.

I believe the Semroc SLS Aero-Dart was a recreation of the third version using that name and was shown in the 1970 Centuri catalog.

I have an unbuilt and boxed Enerjet Aero-Dart kit. I have taken measurements off those parts to make clones and an upscale of this particular model.

I 'like' the Aero-Dart.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Aero-Dart Family.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  243.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Enerjet Aero-Darts with box.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  243.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Aero-Darts.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  198.8 KB  
Old 09-27-2021, 11:16 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Of course 'other' kits/models can be finished to resemble an Aero-Dart.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Different yet same.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  61.3 KB  
Old 09-27-2021, 11:23 PM
Apollo Nut

Bob-

Those are very nicely finished Aero Darts. I like the looks of all versions of that model that Centuri did. The 1970 version is the one I was able to (finally) snag in kit form about three years ago. It and the Lil' Hustler were the two most difficult MiniMax kits for me to obtain. However, I have still to yet find the Enerjet version!

Thanks for posting the pics!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 09-28-2021, 12:30 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

In addition to my Semroc SLS Aero Dart, I have two cloned 1972 Enerjet Aero Darts.
The clones use Semroc parts

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 09-28-2021, 04:06 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:

I built clones of the two earliest Aero Darts! All guesswork, as far as fin size and dimensions go, but close enough.

Oregon Rocketry got a huge pile of donations from a . . . deceased? downsizing? . . . rocketeer. We donated the kit-form stuff to the NARAM auction. Members bought the built kits. George Rachor got one of those latter-day "Enerjet" Aero-Darts. I gave it a catalog finish.

Also, before donating it, cloned multiple copies of an Enerjet Pterodactyl. I gave one of those kits to George. I hope he flies it on the Aero Dart!

Those are lovely clones and interpretations!

I have a 1968 - 1970 vintage Aero-Dart kit. Bought it at a LUNAR auction around 2001. It was missing the parachute and instructions. It came in a Centuri mailer box.

I plan on rejiggering the ejection harness. Use the metal cable as an anchor for a nice long fresh piece of 1/4" elastic.

I should go through the trouble of getting a nylon chute made to mirror the original.

I'll give it the black paint job shown in some Centuri catalog.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM