Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2021, 02:02 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default 3D Printed Detail Parts for Semroc S1B

Hello, does anyone know of anyone 3D printing external detail parts for the Semroc 1/70 Saturn 1B? Any help appreciated.
Old 10-15-2021, 02:14 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by naslrogues
Hello, does anyone know of anyone 3D printing external detail parts for the Semroc 1/70 Saturn 1B? Any help appreciated.

The late (sadly) John Pursley used to make some 3D printed parts for that scale, but I'm not sure if anyone else is offering anything similar. Someone may have some of his parts that they have not yet used, which possibly could be offered for sale.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 10-16-2021, 07:40 AM
NAR # 19250 - Life Member

You might be able to get something out of this:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4637256

or this:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:610400

I've downloaded designs for Atlas and then modified and scaled the parts to my needs.

YMMV.
A dark night in a city that knows how to keep its secrets. But high above the quiet streets on the 12th floor of the Acme Building, one man is still trying to find the answers to life's persistent questions. Guy Noir, Private Eye.

Fox Valley Rocketeers: http://www.foxvalleyrocketeers.org
Old 10-16-2021, 11:53 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
The late (sadly) John Pursley used to make some 3D printed parts for that scale, but I'm not sure if anyone else is offering anything similar. Someone may have some of his parts that they have not yet used, which possibly could be offered for sale.

Earl

There had been reports that someone was going to acquire the assets of Accur8, but nothing since.

The background story...

You probably remember the Apollo 7 40th anniversary Saturn build.

There was a smaller effort for the 50th. The museum did not have funding for 30 Saturns, but could buy five plus one for a backup. The Dallas build team was reconstituted plus several other people including John Pursley. Walt had been heard commenting that the SEMROC models were not totally accurate, so the goal the second time was producing something he would find flawless.

The team convened long before the deadline hoping to avoid a last-minute rush. As design by committee would have it, the team went back and forth. Initially, it was going to be 1/72 scale, optionally flightworthy and built with tubes of rolled styrene and resin cast parts.

Producing 8 times 6 perfect fins by casting proved troublesome, so the process shifted to printing them on the Formlabs Form 2 at the Dallas Makerspace. The scalloped tank fairing was another trouble spot, so those were printed too.

Much time passed and rolling the plastic tubes were not going so well, so a big decision was made to revert to using the SEMROC kit as the basis.

Accur8 was planning to eventually sell both refit parts for the SEMROC kit as well as a complete 1/72 kit.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 10-18-2021, 01:08 AM
Craftsman

Yes I just completed them a couple of weeks ago, have not posted them yet. Pm me your email if you want me to send them to you. I based mine more of the apogee than the semroc though.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:02 AM
Master Modeler

Scott, Can others email you for the files?
I would like them also.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:53 PM
Craftsman

There are 2 pieces that i have not yet done, the antennas , and the wrap at the bottom of the second stage. i will add the wrap to the big one eventually just had another project to work on. the reason i have 2 different fin sets is the lower combo looks better but after 5 attempts to print it i gave up and took what i could get. separate fins would be easier to paint/sand and print on smaller beds.

My main goal was to have something that can stand next to my apogee s5 and not cost me over $50 to build. I pretty well succeeded with that, i think if I added a nylon chute though it will throw me over budget
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Screenshot_2021-10-18_22-45-25.png
Views: 58
Size:  684.1 KB  
Old 10-19-2021, 11:44 AM
Craftsman

actually printed pieces
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  20211019_103818.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  54.6 KB  
Old 10-20-2021, 11:20 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_mills

My main goal was to have something that can stand next to my apogee s5 and not cost me over $50 to build. I pretty well succeeded with that, i think if I added a nylon chute though it will throw me over budget

I started 3Dprinting your files today Scott. So far looking great with a lots of detail.
I ordered all the tubes and other parts that eRockets had for the 1/70 Saturn 1b cost in the range of $70.00 dollars but still not too bad for the cost.

I will post pictures of the printed parts as they get printed.

Thanks again.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:01 AM
Master Modeler

I got the first piece of the 1/70 Saturn 1b off the printer plate.
First, my hat is off to Scott for producing a great set of files.
The detail is just nice to look at. It's a thin print so it should slide onto the tube.
I hadn't planned on building a 1/70 scale Saturn 1b but now I have started and look forward to seeing how it turns out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  70 Sat 2.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  75.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  70 Sat 1.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  80.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  70 Sat 3.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  73.9 KB