Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Craftsman

Default Dimensions of Estes Icarus Fins

Does anybody know the dimensions of the fins on the Estes Icarus (#1277). I have recently cloned the Maxi Icarus and wanted to do the same for the Icarus. I have the basic shape from the plans, but no dimensions. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Joe
Old 11-29-2008, 07:18 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIJoe
Does anybody know the dimensions of the fins on the Estes Icarus (#1277). I have recently cloned the Maxi Icarus and wanted to do the same for the Icarus. I have the basic shape from the plans, but no dimensions. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Joe

Hey Joe
go to SEMROC laser cut fins are available for the Icarus. As well as Clear payload section

BAR
JOHN

NAR #91135 L1
SAM #0037
Old 11-29-2008, 08:10 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnwwa
Hey Joe
go to SEMROC laser cut fins are available for the Icarus. As well as Clear payload section

BAR
JOHN

And, just to make it a little easier, here's the link.....

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...arts.asp?ID=125
Old 11-30-2008, 01:42 AM
German Model Rocket Builder

Quote:

Joe

This should help: Balsa Fin Sheet

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 11-30-2008, 10:38 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
This should help: Balsa Fin Sheet

I used Leo's template when I cloned mine. I wish everybody scanned their die- crushed balsa fin sheets with a ruler next to them.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Craftsman

Thanks for all the help. I new Semroc sold the fins, just that I just retired from the Air Force and have plenty of time and material to cut fins from, just lacking the few extra dollars necessary for the convenience of Laser Cut fins. I also still have several fin sets from Semroc waiting for there chance to find a matching body tube. I just came across some payload section and figured I would clone a few payload rockets. I put the Maxi Icarus together first and decided the Icarus would make a good match. So far this Month I have built:

Interceptor (Original Parts except for the Body Tube)
Maxi Icarus Clone
Cherokee D Clone (Fins from Semroc)
Goonybird Cloud Hopper Clone (Fins from Semroc)
Goonybird Zoom Broom Clone (Fins from Semroc)
Viking
Hi-Flier
Star Dart Clone
Wizard
Guardian
Thunder Bee (Fins from Semroc)
Thunder Hawk Clone (Fins from Semroc)
Thunder Bird Clone (Fins from Semroc)
Thunder Roc Clone (Fins from Semroc)
Major Repairs completed on my Mean Machine Clone

Last Night I decided to Goonify the Starship Nova. Spent most of the night hacking up, gluing, sanding and filling, more sanding, more filling, priming to check for flaws, more sanding of flaws and the Nose Cone is almost done. I guess I was busy in November.

Joe
Old 11-30-2008, 05:52 PM
Retired Missile Technician

Joe,

Welcome to the forum! I retired from the Air Force here in Fort Worth in 1993 when they closed Carswell. Almost went to Fairchild, but they had an E-7 slot down here.

My, you have been busy catching up on your building. SEMROC is our friend. I bought parts to clone the Estes Antares, as that is my daughter's name. Sheryl notified me that they had just released the decals for that kit after I had placed the order. She is including one. I plan on giving one built model to my 34 year old daughter, who still remarks on thermaling away her Centuri Thunderhawk while we were stationed in Michigan years ago.

I have been placing orders with several of the smaller companies so that my wife has something to give me for Christmas<g>. Now I have to wait until Christmas...

Chas
Old 11-30-2008, 06:27 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Talking "The waiting is the hardest part..." (Tom Petty)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
I have been placing orders with several of the smaller companies so that my wife has something to give me for Christmas<g>. Now I have to wait until Christmas...
Chas,

Something's not quite right about that last statement of yours.

Oh, yeah. The part about "waiting."

Cheers,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 11-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Thanks for all the help. I new Semroc sold the fins, just that I just retired from the Air Force and have plenty of time and material to cut fins from, just lacking the few extra dollars necessary for the convenience of Laser Cut fins. I also still have several fin sets from Semroc waiting for there chance to find a matching body tube. I just came across some payload section and figured I would clone a few payload rockets. I put the Maxi Icarus together first and decided the Icarus would make a good match. So far this Month I have built:

Interceptor (Original Parts except for the Body Tube)
Maxi Icarus Clone
Cherokee D Clone (Fins from Semroc)
Goonybird Cloud Hopper Clone (Fins from Semroc)
Goonybird Zoom Broom Clone (Fins from Semroc)
Viking
Hi-Flier
Star Dart Clone
Wizard
Guardian
Thunder Bee (Fins from Semroc)
Thunder Hawk Clone (Fins from Semroc)
Thunder Bird Clone (Fins from Semroc)
Thunder Roc Clone (Fins from Semroc)
Major Repairs completed on my Mean Machine Clone

Last Night I decided to Goonify the Starship Nova. Spent most of the night hacking up, gluing, sanding and filling, more sanding, more filling, priming to check for flaws, more sanding of flaws and the Nose Cone is almost done. I guess I was busy in November.

Joe

Yeah....you'll see a lot of retired military on the forum. I retired in 1996 (Air Force). Let the building begin. Oh yeah...we like pictures. Any type. Well, just keep in mind we have younger folks here too. Build pictures, static pictures, launch pictures, repair pictures
Old 11-30-2008, 08:20 PM
Retired Missile Technician

Jay,

I am waiting to "open" a couple of the orders. A couple are in progress and have not been shipped. Expect the SEMROC order here tomorrow. Funny, didn't get it the next day....

BTW, there is a gentleman on scaleroc looking for info on the Titan II. I told him we had some missile troops here.

Chas