Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2020, 04:15 PM
Sometimes collector

Angry

I hadn’t competed in NAR competition in over 20 years, and not seriously in over 25. Virtual NARAM sounded like fun, I wanted to fly some events but was not really motivated to build anything new, so I went looking for old competition models. Gliders were on a shelf, an old SD model was on another, a helicopter and superroc were in a closet. In a box I found a mystery glider that I have no recollection building, it turned out to be a Deltie, and the boom snapped forward of the boom as soon as I picked it up, the balsa is so light. I had nothing in my kit lists that I had built a Deltie. At the bottom of a box I found an old Apogee P’Chuter which was cool because I had nothing in my lists that I had ever had one, much less built. I continued to poke around looking for chutes and streamers, and found the three instruction booklets in the attached picture. Now the mystery was where the Apogee Dragster SD model ended up, because again, I have nothing listed that I ever owned or launched one.

I thought I had a pretty good idea of what I had, I guess for competition models I didn’t take as much care to document. Poking through those boxes is well worth it!

The Deltie boom was an easy repair and had two great flights of 36 and 40 seconds on 1/2As.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  21A09FD0-4A81-45F2-B6E6-77FE66015681.jpeg
Views: 29
Size:  1.59 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  5FFA7CDA-6D79-46C4-A3D2-EE5F0C1D63FB.jpeg
Views: 26
Size:  1.88 MB  
Old 08-17-2020, 05:05 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
I hadn’t competed in NAR competition in over 20 years, and not seriously in over 25. Virtual NARAM sounded like fun, I wanted to fly some events but was not really motivated to build anything new, so I went looking for old competition models. Gliders were on a shelf, an old SD model was on another, a helicopter and superroc were in a closet. In a box I found a mystery glider that I have no recollection building, it turned out to be a Deltie, and the boom snapped forward of the boom as soon as I picked it up, the balsa is so light. I had nothing in my kit lists that I had built a Deltie. At the bottom of a box I found an old Apogee P’Chuter which was cool because I had nothing in my lists that I had ever had one, much less built. I continued to poke around looking for chutes and streamers, and found the three instruction booklets in the attached picture. Now the mystery was where the Apogee Dragster SD model ended up, because again, I have nothing listed that I ever owned or launched one.

I thought I had a pretty good idea of what I had, I guess for competition models I didn’t take as much care to document. Poking through those boxes is well worth it!

The Deltie boom was an easy repair and had two great flights of 36 and 40 seconds on 1/2As.
I remember the Deltie. Cool that you were able to fix the snapped boom and fly it 36 and 40 seconds on 1/2As are nice flights! I never competed in any NAR events but I always liked reading about the competition flights in the magazines. The only competition type models that I had ever owned were the CMR Effy and the CMR ELO. My buddy had a CMR Mini-Manta that flew pretty well. I know I posted these pictures somewhere on the forum before the upper stage of my ELO egg lofter is in a couple of these pics but I don't see my Effy. I wish I still had ANY of these old model rockets from these pictures. These are some of what I was flying my junior year of high school around 1978.

I agree poking around you made a pretty worthwhile find there 5x7 unearthing your Deltie! Very cool
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  01Rockets in closet 1978.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  204.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  02Rockets in closet 1978.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  215.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  03Rockets in closet 1978.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  190.4 KB  
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 08-17-2020, 05:35 PM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
I remember the Deltie. Cool that you were able to fix the snapped boom and fly it 36 and 40 seconds on 1/2As are nice flights! I never competed in any NAR events but I always liked reading about the competition flights in the magazines. The only competition type models that I had ever owned were the CMR Effy and the CMR ELO. My buddy had a CMR Mini-Manta that flew pretty well. I know I posted these pictures somewhere on the forum before the upper stage of my ELO egg lofter is in a couple of these pics but I don't see my Effy. I wish I still had ANY of these old model rockets from these pictures. These are some of what I was flying my junior year of high school around 1978.

I agree poking around you made a pretty worthwhile find there 5x7 unearthing your Deltie! Very cool

Great pictures, and nice models!

It’s funny about the Deltie, I was reading about it on Rocket Reviews, and at least one other person said they were prone to snap in front of the wing.