Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2022, 09:16 AM
Old Submariner

Thanks guys, I believe I have all the info. I need. It seems odd that the blow-molded LEM shroud of the 7251 kit is more detailed with surface features than any drawing that I've seen so far. I also compared the 7251 S1B LEM shroud to the 1969 SV LEM shroud (which as we know is slightly smaller) and the SV LEM shroud has far less surface features.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 03-23-2022, 01:06 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
Thanks guys, I believe I have all the info. I need. It seems odd that the blow-molded LEM shroud of the 7251 kit is more detailed with surface features than any drawing that I've seen so far. I also compared the 7251 S1B LEM shroud to the 1969 SV LEM shroud (which as we know is slightly smaller) and the SV LEM shroud has far less surface features.

I have an old #2048 Saturn 1B (1:100 scale) that is mostly done, just needs black paint applied. I ordered a few plastic LEM shrouds from Estes to add to my older, unbuilt Saturn V kits. I thought I would use one for my older 1B kits. (I have 2, after gifting one to a friend.) I was surprised to discover it didn’t fit! Even more reason now to buy the new kit. And I should have bought one before price increases, and the smaller discount from AC Supply. Oh well, at least I’ll be buying with dollars that aren’t worth as much as they were.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp

Last edited by LeeR : 03-23-2022 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-23-2022, 01:20 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep

I do not have either kit. But I will admit that I don't have every little detail in my drawing.

The Estes 1/100 Saturn-V kits have gotten better and better detailing since the first one came out in 1969. THere's been at least 4 versions now. The first one had a perfectly smooth Apollo Command Module /BPC (as did Centuri's), and embossed paper corrugated sections, for example.

It is so odd that the Saturn-IB version is slightly smaller. As for more surface detail, that can be explained by re-using the original 3D file and adding more detail to the file. Though one would think the #1969 kit's LM shroud mold would have been re-used.
Georges'CancerGoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-geo...ay-fight-cancer