Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > Wanted: Dead or Alive!
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-24-2023, 05:53 PM
Craftsman

I'd also be curious to know whether the NC has changed since being introduced as plastic. The blow-molded NC in the now-just-discontinued-again kits has some particular, unique geometry. It makes up- or downscaling it by substitution of another COTS nose cone essentially impossible if you want it to look right. Wondering how far back that goes.

On the other hand, this is getting seriously OCD. The old instructions at JimZ show clearly, visibly different NC shapes on different rocket photos in the same instruction document in the balsa era. I gather from that that the balsa cones were pretty inconsistent, as in all over the place. Or perhaps just ended up that way after different builders were done sanding and filling them.

Also, just to note it, there's more different in the older vs. laser cut fins than the size. The laser cut fins have visibly more sweep and I think a little taper. I have not yet put scans of both in AutoCAD to quantify the differences, though.