Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2022, 06:58 AM
NAR # 19250 - Life Member

There are a ton of 3D printed fin jigs available on Thingiverse. I don't recall seeing any that were competition quality, but suspect some of you out there could modify them for that, or reverse engineer something that would be close to the Rose jig.

Oh, and George. Like you, I hesitated to buy one because of the price. But when I went to NARAM-48 and saw how much Art had aged, I thought I should get one regardless of price because supply was likely to dry up.
A dark night in a city that knows how to keep its secrets. But high above the quiet streets on the 12th floor of the Acme Building, one man is still trying to find the answers to life's persistent questions. Guy Noir, Private Eye.

Fox Valley Rocketeers: http://www.foxvalleyrocketeers.org
Old 11-04-2022, 12:44 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Darn....so much for not getting on the forum often enough......
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
Gee, now that they're not available, I want one.

I have recently taken delivery from Steve Kristal of one of the latest iteration of the Rose/Harrison fin jig. Consequently I now have three of these wonderful machines which is an embarrassment of riches.

Consequently — I need to make at least one of them available to others, and so I'll start right here.

I am uncertain whether my original Art Rose-made jig (which came to me from Geoff Kerbal's estate) or the first-generation Dan Harrison-made jig, with is pretty much a faithful reproduction of the original Rose jig should be the one I sell....so I'm actually willing to ask which one is of more interest.

Either one would come with mandrels for 13mm and 18mm tubes. The mandrel shaft itself also fits MicroMaxx motor tubes. Either one would come with the wood base.

Both have been used quite a bit, though I expect the original one got lots of use before it came to me. I've used my Harrison version 1 jig on every build I could since I got it from Dan at NARAM-61.

Unlike most Rose-made jigs this one has detents for both three- and four-finned rockets, so both have that capability.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_6129.JPG
Views: 38
Size:  757.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_6130.JPG
Views: 27
Size:  729.3 KB  
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 11-23-2022, 10:28 PM
Master Modeler

Just to close this loop. Don Carson put me in contact with a very supportive rocketry Mom, and my older Harrison jig is on its way to a Junior member of the US FAI team.

So I'm back down to two of these machines and don't have plans to thin the herd any further for the foreseeable future.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 11-23-2022, 10:39 PM
7/21/61

Bernard, good to hear!

And if anyone else is still interested I still have two left. PM me.

Steve