Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Cardstock Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2022, 10:22 AM
Cardstock Designer

Default Subsonex Aerotech 18mm RMS D2.3T Glider Design

Last weekend my main plan was to build the 1/60 Saturn V I have printed out ready to cut and build.

Then got to thinking about the subsonex and how bad I want one. Working on that right now. Looking at the lines got to thinking it might be a good choice for the Aerotech 18mm RMS with plugged engine.

Spent Saturday designing and printing (printed twice-had issues with 1st printing).

Doing a test build of a Subsonex designed for Aerotech 18mm RMS, D2.3T.

A few photos of the build-still have Elevons, wing tips and engine nacelle to add before weight and balance testing.

This is the first prototype-next version will have R/C controls. This one is to see how stable it is. Plan a whole flight test series to see if it will work for the Aerotech.

My problem is where to mount the launch lug...

Photos show inside view of model-there is ink where normally it would be white-reprint on same paper cardstock as first printing.

Photos 1786 & 1789 show the markings on the balsa wood parts, a partially constructed fuselage.

1791-Inside photo showing balsa wood Elevon supports

1796-twisted the fuselage top to show the balsa wood support for the Engine Nacelle

1798- 18mm Engine Nacelle

1802-Gluing a Wing on

1805-Dry Fit Test Engine Nacelle

1809 Engine Nacelle closeup

Subsonex:
30" Wingspan
26 - 1/4" Long
Weighs 3 oz total paper weight.
Weighs 3.8 oz with B6-4 installed for engine size fit test

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  PICT1786.JPG
Views: 53
Size:  307.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  PICT1809.JPG
Views: 51
Size:  341.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  PICT1805.JPG
Views: 69
Size:  375.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  PICT1802.JPG
Views: 56
Size:  412.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  PICT1798.JPG
Views: 47
Size:  263.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  PICT1796.JPG
Views: 43
Size:  295.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  PICT1791.JPG
Views: 41
Size:  328.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  PICT1788.JPG
Views: 55
Size:  328.2 KB  

Last edited by mbauer : 02-12-2022 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Photos upload
Old 02-12-2022, 12:28 PM
Craftsman

Nice, so your motor is behind the CG so you will get nose heavy as you boost, so will need some up trim programmed after burnout. The D2.3 weighs 29grams instead of the B-6-4 which weighs 19 grams.

If you are boosting vertically you really want to limit your rtf weight to about 5.75 oz but I've gone as high as 6, if you angle it you can get away with more, I've found 5 oz is a pretty optimum weight for a sport flying rc rocket glider with rear mounted motor for the D2.3.

If you use micro servos/rx/battery instead of a brick you can probably do about 1.2-1.5 oz plus 29 grams for the motor you are at about 5.5 without nose weight, can maybe be a bit lighter on components and optimize placement, your nose moment is about the same as the motor mount location so you might be a bit heavy for vertical takeoff.

I'm sure the elevons will be fine for roll/pitch I've done that a lot even in straight wing designs.

Frank
Old 02-12-2022, 03:31 PM
Cardstock Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkefj
Nice, so your motor is behind the CG so you will get nose heavy as you boost, so will need some up trim programmed after burnout. The D2.3 weighs 29grams instead of the B-6-4 which weighs 19 grams.

If you are boosting vertically you really want to limit your rtf weight to about 5.75 oz but I've gone as high as 6, if you angle it you can get away with more, I've found 5 oz is a pretty optimum weight for a sport flying rc rocket glider with rear mounted motor for the D2.3.

If you use micro servos/rx/battery instead of a brick you can probably do about 1.2-1.5 oz plus 29 grams for the motor you are at about 5.5 without nose weight, can maybe be a bit lighter on components and optimize placement, your nose moment is about the same as the motor mount location so you might be a bit heavy for vertical takeoff.

I'm sure the elevons will be fine for roll/pitch I've done that a lot even in straight wing designs.

Frank

Hi Frank,

Been checking your videos out. Some great models!

Yes, with all you say.

This is a first build, going to change the model some, shorten the height and width of fuselage some, should save weight. Might change the glue to super glue to save weight as well.

If needed I can go to a 28" wingspan to save even more weight.

Waiting on my Aerotech order to get here so I can actually fit the hardware.

Plan to flight test these before actual flight with the reload.

Thank you for the heads up, great points. Voice of experience, thank you for sharing.

Mike
Old 02-12-2022, 03:37 PM
Cardstock Designer

Default Parts Done

Parts have been glued in place, model now weighs 3.1oz., 3.9oz with engine in it.

Hook has been added lower front. Plan to use rubber band and stick to launch for flight testing. If not powerful enough, have a wrist rocket...

Will let glue set for 24-hours. Re-weigh and then weight and balance for flight. Hoping it comes in under 5oz.

1813 Wings done-clipped the tips-Gluing Elevon

1817 Elevon Jig to match other side

1821 Engine Nacelle Gluing

1828 Left View

1832 Bottom View with launch hook

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  PICT1813.JPG
Views: 45
Size:  366.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  PICT1817.JPG
Views: 46
Size:  305.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  PICT1821.JPG
Views: 45
Size:  299.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  PICT1828.JPG
Views: 57
Size:  366.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  PICT1832.JPG
Views: 51
Size:  330.0 KB  

Last edited by mbauer : 02-12-2022 at 03:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-13-2022, 11:37 AM
Cardstock Designer

Default Updated Subsonex Drawing

After going to the Sonex website, found a 3-view drawing that you can purchase. It is an updated version over the one I used for this model.

I bought a hardcopy that will arrive by mail.

Once here I will be doing a complete re-draw of this model. The newer version is a much sleeker looking design.

For this model I used the prototype version that first flew. Major cockpit change and additional areas needing changed.

Still going to flight test this one with the rubber band launch system.

Mike

Last edited by mbauer : 02-14-2022 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-14-2022, 02:08 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Looks interesting.
Let us know how it flies.
I would bet it would fly even better/longer with a Cox Tee Dee .020 engine on the nose for power instead of a rocket motor. The stock integral tank Tee Dee .020 runs about 4 minutes on 30% Nitromethane fuel. On 15% it would run at least 5 minutes.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 02-14-2022, 08:23 PM
Cardstock Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Looks interesting.
Let us know how it flies.
I would bet it would fly even better/longer with a Cox Tee Dee .020 engine on the nose for power instead of a rocket motor. The stock integral tank Tee Dee .020 runs about 4 minutes on 30% Nitromethane fuel. On 15% it would run at least 5 minutes.

Know about the .020. Many , many years (late 1960's) ago, received a Christmas present from a Grandpa.

Control Line Bright Green Pitt Special with the .020 in it.

Got sick tuning circles at very high speed:-shortened the line to see how fast it would go.

Been doing electric power models the last few years.

Subsonex:
Was able to do a download of the new design. It is a painted version on their website. Not very accurate, but enough to see major changes needed.

After looking it over, everything has changed-need a new fuselage, wings have been moved farther back, engine design is using a different jet engine. Old engine had 8-parts to make, the new one will have three. Shape of Elevons changed slightly, whole new fin added to the fuselage tail.

Decided to start with a fresh design.

The wings almost work, a slight change in the chord with removable wing panels for transport home.

More pointy at the nose, tri gear landing gear instead of old style single glider wheel with wingtip wheels. 259lb thrust engine over the old 200thrust.

All my RV-6 has to do is increase another $20,000 in value and I'm selling to buy a kit to build the full size version of this microjet!

Mike