Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2023, 07:08 AM
Craftsman

Default RDC Saturn?

Hi,

This one is a mystery to me, so I am asking if anyone can help.

The Rocket Development Corporation's 1963 catalog (via Ninfinger) lists the introduction of two new flight rocket kits, F1 Cardinal and F2 Moon-Glo. For these there are pictures, some specs, so there is good info to go with. The Moon-Glo was even cloned/sold by Semroc some years back. You ordered these and they shipped to you from RDC in Indiana.

But then the mystery is the third model, F3 Saturn kit (page duplicated below). It is said to be 25" long and ships with three 20-lb thrust F-class motors - directly to you, with the F3 Saturn "from the manufacturer in Texas via freight collect".

I know the shipping method has to do with the motors. I'd like to learn more details about the F3 Saturn, but I have not been able to identify this Texas manufacturer of F-class motors. Does anyone know who made such motors in Texas in 1963? I am hoping this might lead me to some more information about the Saturn.

Thank you!

Old 02-26-2023, 07:38 AM
Apollo Nut

The only one I could think of in Texas at that time would be the Coaster Corporation. That is whose motors (and motor making machines, as I understand) were purchased by Lee Piester, Centuri, and moved to Phoenix sometime around ‘64 or so maybe, and became their Atlas and Hercules motors and later renamed MiniMax motors.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970

Last edited by Ltvscout : 02-26-2023 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-26-2023, 07:42 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
The only one I could think of in Texas at that time would be the Coaster Corporation. That is who’s motors (and motor making machines, as I understand) were purchased by Lee Piester, Centuri, and moved to Phoenix sometime around ‘64 or so maybe, and became their Atlas and Hercules motors and later renamed MiniMax motors.

Earl

Thank you Earl, I will try that avenue.

Addendum - Great advice! Coaster's 1962 catalog has the model.