Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2023, 12:54 PM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgegassaway
And also, the total failure of the FTS. It automatically fired WAY late, long after the rocket was out of control. THEN, the charges were too small, so it did not break up for about 40 seconds later, as it fell into thicker atmosphere and broke up from increased aerodynamic purposes.

That was a MASSIVE failure on SpaceX's side, an auto FTS that did not even initiate when it should, THEN failed to actually destroy the vehicle.

...nothing much different going on here than watching historical rocket development videos from the 1950's. The A, B, and C versions of SM-65 had horrible track records. We're kind of used to another Space-X rocket blow up, aren't we?

So. Space-X blew up a rocket. TOTAL FAILURE!!!! MASSIVE failure!!!! Hey take a chill pill already. Sheesh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgegassaway
The FAA is way unhappy about that...

The FAA is upset. Falls kind of in the, "Oh, so what..." Department to me. They'll get over it, probably sooner than later...
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 05-17-2023, 03:45 PM
Scale Modeler Extrodinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
...nothing much different going on here than watching historical rocket development videos from the 1950's. The A, B, and C versions of SM-65 had horrible track records. We're kind of used to another Space-X rocket blow up, aren't we?

I have a book around here somewhere on the development of the Atlas rocket. Lots of similarities to what Space X is doing here, with the rockets and engines being pretty much mass-produced.
The failure rate of the early launches was close to 100% - but they kept trying and eventually got something usable. OTOH, even at the time of the Mercury/Atlas program, the failure rate was still around 33%.
Can you imagine 'man-rating' (or is it 'human-rating' now?) a launch vehicle today that has a 1 in 3 failure rate?
The four Mercury astronauts who rode that one had some serious gonads...
Old 05-17-2023, 04:31 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdracer
I have a book around here somewhere on the development of the Atlas rocket. Lots of similarities to what Space X is doing here, with the rockets and engines being pretty much mass-produced.
The failure rate of the early launches was close to 100% - but they kept trying and eventually got something usable. OTOH, even at the time of the Mercury/Atlas program, the failure rate was still around 33%.
Can you imagine 'man-rating' (or is it 'human-rating' now?) a launch vehicle today that has a 1 in 3 failure rate?
The four Mercury astronauts who rode that one had some serious gonads...

Oh, man, you said it! No guarantees back in those days at all. Even if the Atlas had had a perfect success rate, when you peer into an old Mercury capsule and think about actually getting into that thing and being blasted into orbit, it really hits home just how brave those guys were.

I think it was Deke Slayton who said in this autobiography (good book, by the way) that they FULLY expected to lose an astronaut or two early on. He said basically that they would not have really believed how good the success rate was up through the end of Gemini if they would have had a way to see the future; it would have been very hard to believe that they would not have had a serious accident after something like 15 manned missions by the end of Gemini. Of course as we all know, that good fortune ran out with the first Apollo, but still….

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 05-17-2023, 11:59 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
The FAA is upset. Falls kind of in the, "Oh, so what..." Department to me. They'll get over it, probably sooner than later...

Upsetting the FAA is not a good thing - there is no "sooner" with them; it is always later. The FCC is a pushover compared to them.

I suspect that, despite SpaceX's superb efforts to forge ahead, they are going to be grounded for some time over the FTS. Both the FAA and DoD (which doesn't have any say in a Texas launch) insist on that being absolutely 100%.

Hope I'm wrong. But I kinda doubt it.
In finishing: Centuri Sabre clone
In primer:
In paint:
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet
Old 05-18-2023, 11:00 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Austin
NASA has become so risk averse that it seems they are afraid of their own shadow. I can't help but think more than one person in management at NASA got upset when they really began pushing Artemis a few years ago.

And yet, thanks to the Space Shuttle & Apollo 1, they've killed more astronauts than any other agency on earth. Space flight is, indeed, hard.
Old 05-23-2023, 01:39 PM
Dazed and Confused

I only posted the FCC application to show that the process had begun, not that they were jumping tall hurdles for the FCC compared to FAA, nor did I post it to insinuate a 2nd launch was close.

As for making the FAA mad, SpaceX has NASA and other parts of the govt. on their side because NASA is depending on SpaceX for their immediate future. The FAA will let them launch another test or two. They may eventually say no mas and make them go to Florida as more flights ramp up, but we will have to wait and see on that. Starship will have to start launching fairly frequently to really piss off the FAA.
Old 05-27-2023, 07:48 AM
Master Modeler

Nice views from the pad and onboard.

Starship | First Integrated Flight Test | (short) Recap
SpaceX - 26 May 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_krgcofiM6M
The other day I sat next to a woman who has a profound fear of flying. I wanted to comfort her, so I said, "Don't worry, we're not gonna' crash. Statistically, we got a better chance of being bitten by a shark." Then I showed her the scar on my elbow from a shark attack. I said, "I got this when my plane went down off of Florida." - Dennis Regan
Old 05-28-2023, 08:36 AM
Master Modeler

NASA Office of Inspector General
May 25, 2023
NASA’s Management of the Space Launch
SLS Booster and Engine Contracts

Looking more broadly, the cost impact from these four contracts increases our projected cost of each SLS by $144 million through Artemis IV, increasing a single Artemis launch to at least $4.2 billion.

versus:

SpaceX investment in Starship approaches $5 billion
May 26, 2023

https://spacenews.com/spacex-invest...ches-5-billion/

WASHINGTON — SpaceX will have spent $5 billion or more on its Starship vehicle and launch infrastructure by the end of this year, according to court filings and comments by the company’s chief executive.
The other day I sat next to a woman who has a profound fear of flying. I wanted to comfort her, so I said, "Don't worry, we're not gonna' crash. Statistically, we got a better chance of being bitten by a shark." Then I showed her the scar on my elbow from a shark attack. I said, "I got this when my plane went down off of Florida." - Dennis Regan