Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2006, 03:37 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Default Diamonds revisited

I'm FINALLY putting the floor down in my office/rocket room and, while cleaning, took this group photo of three more gems I picked up on ebay. The first is a older (1966 -ish) Skyhook. It has the old balsa engine block and came with the older parachute that has the rocket plane design. The second, I affecionately call the MiniMax 'Buck-Nekkid'. It's a scratch build using the Centuri LS series parts with the older type three-rings-and-no-tube motor mount. The third is a Composite Dynamics 'Sonics 40' with a resin nose cone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Triad_a.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  171.2 KB  

Last edited by SEL : 07-06-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
I'm FINALLY putting the floor down in my office/rocket room and, while cleaning, took this group photo of three more gems I picked up on ebay. The first is a older (1966 -ish) Skyhook. It has the old balsa engine block and came with the older parachute that has the rocket plane design. The second, I affecionately call the MiniMax 'Buck-Nekkid'. It's a scratch build using the Centuri LS series parts with the older type three-rings-and-no-tube motor mount. The third is a Composite Dynamis 'Sonics 40' with a resin nose cone.

Forgot to mention: On the Skyhook I had to replace the fins with SEMROC's lasor cut set. I need to give them the silver paint that the original builder used.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:46 PM
Master Modeler

What were the rings made of in the SLS kit? Balsa? Thick cardboard?

I hypothesized, after looking in the catalog, that the forward ring has a smaller diameter hole, to act as a thrust ring.

Any idea how those Mini-Max motors were supposed to be mounted? Just lots of tape? I'd love to see the instruction sheet for those some day.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
What were the rings made of in the SLS kit? Balsa? Thick cardboard?

If you mean the LS, these are thick balsa, just about 3/4". I think there are pics in the old Centuri catalogues.

Quote:
I hypothesized, after looking in the catalog, that the forward ring has a smaller diameter hole, to act as a thrust ring.

Correct, the same as my Centuri Hustler kit.

Quote:
Any idea how those Mini-Max motors were supposed to be mounted? Just lots of tape? I'd love to see the instruction sheet for those some day.

That's my assumption as well. If anyone has those MM instructions, I'd love to see them too.

Sean

Last edited by Ltvscout : 08-17-2006 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:59 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
.....The third is a Composite Dynamis 'Sonics 40' with a resin nose cone.

Hello Sean. How heavy are those solid resin cones that CD used on that kit? I have never seen one of those before. As with some of the other rocket kits designed for composite motors around that time I'd imagine the Composite Dynamics kits would also benefit from a little added weight up front.

Definitely not something you see everyday. The Sonics 40 is a cool one to have in your collection
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 08-17-2006, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Hello Sean. How heavy are those solid resin cones that CD used on that kit? I have never seen one of those before. As with some of the other rocket kits designed for composite motors around that time I'd imagine the Composite Dynamics kits would also benefit from a little added weight up front.

Definitely not something you see everyday. The Sonics 40 is a cool one to have in your collection

Yeah, it's got some weight to it - the catalogue lists it at 18 grams.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:28 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
Yeah, it's got some weight to it - the catalogue lists it at 18 grams.

Nice

How's your Centuri Chuter-Two sounding rocket coming? What exactly are those little "thingys" nestled at each of the joints where the fins meet the body tube?

I loved the early payloaders .....
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
Old 08-18-2006, 11:10 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Nice looking find -

Wish I could find some nice goodies on e*^%$#.......

Those CD cones are neat, I wish I had some left - lost my last one a few years back when it seperated from the Longstar ( which pranged )...
I still have the original fins from that, so a rebuilc could be in order ( and yes, plans to Scott soon ).

Any chance you have a spare cone, or want to loan one so I can make a mold ?

( and please send / post any cd fin patterns or info, would like to get the fin tracing and tube length for that Sonics 40 shown - iirc there were 4 kits ? Sonics 40, Sonics 80, Transonic and the Longstar ?
I;ve never owned any of the others, but lost a lot of Longstars in the day )

~ AL
Old 08-18-2006, 11:20 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
Nice looking find -

Wish I could find some nice goodies on e*^%$#.......

Those CD cones are neat, I wish I had some left - lost my last one a few years back when it seperated from the Longstar ( which pranged )...
I still have the original fins from that, so a rebuilc could be in order ( and yes, plans to Scott soon ).

Any chance you have a spare cone, or want to loan one so I can make a mold ?

( and please send / post any cd fin patterns or info, would like to get the fin tracing and tube length for that Sonics 40 shown - iirc there were 4 kits ? Sonics 40, Sonics 80, Transonic and the Longstar ?
I;ve never owned any of the others, but lost a lot of Longstars in the day )

I have a few Composite Dynamic kits still sealed in the bag with the resin cones. They came with a big lot of stuff I bought on eBay about five years ago. I never saw a CD kit till then and thought those cones looked real cool. Alas, they're gonna stay sealed till I sell the kits someday.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 08-19-2006, 12:25 AM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
I have a few Composite Dynamic kits still sealed in the bag with the resin cones. They came with a big lot of stuff I bought on eBay about five years ago. I never saw a CD kit till then and thought those cones looked real cool. Alas, they're gonna stay sealed till I sell the kits someday.

I never had a CD kit. Only parts. I had a couple of the BT72C large body tubes, a coupler and some BT-10/15's that I used to build an EnerJet clone. I purchased those from Larry Broadbent way back in the day .....
SAM# 0052