Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2020, 01:28 PM
Craftsman

Default Mother's Day Launch

I started a rocket club in our community. So far 9 members, just friends and family. The neighbor's
son is 29 but because of a mental issue, he's like a 10 year-old. So I took him to the local hobby shop and he picked out the Estes Dragonite. We assembled it together. He got to fly it yesterday and was thrilled.

We also had a fare number of spectators show up. Parents and kids, maintaining social distance. After few lauches, I started calling out to the little kids, one at a time to do the countdown. They all got really excited. Had one of the parents ask me how to get into the hobby. I obliged, of course.

It was also the first launch of my "fiancee 's" Magician. We finished putting the decals on it in the morning. D12-5. An altimeter is in order because I can't even guess how high it went. There was some serious hangtime with that one and it landed in the adjacent field.

Now everyone has altitude fever. Me, I'm going to give micros a try
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  FB_IMG_1589227817478.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  78.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  FB_IMG_1589227645300.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  126.9 KB  

Last edited by RobVG : 05-11-2020 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:53 PM
BP Mafia

I drove up to the field on Saturday morning only to find a fair amount of wind. I figured I'd wait an hour or so and I came home and was sitting watching TV when the doorbell rang. I hate the doorbell. It never brings anything good, and 95% of the time it goes unanswered. That was the plan this time, but as I looked out I could see it was just a kid. When I opened the door I found not one, but four second graders on the porch. They'd been at the field a couple of weeks back for the last flight and had apparently believed me when I said I planned to fly on the weekends. They asked if I could come up and fly some rockets for them. It was still windy, so I really couldn't fly anything I had packed up on Friday night. I told them to give me an hour, then I went downstairs and started picking low level stuff that wouldn't be so troubled by the breezes, mostly saucers and mini engine birds with some bulk. By the time I drove up the street to find my launch crew, it had gone from 4 to 2, then 3. The holdout wasn't interested in rockets unless there was a robot involved. I wound up launching five rockets before Mom called and ordered one of the crew home. He took another, (he was afraid to walk the bad streets of The Fort alone at 2:00pm,) leaving me with a solo crewman for my last flight. That was a bit less successful than the others, but I don't think any enthusiasm was lessened. I'll talk to the parents and if they're okay with it I'll pick up a few starter kits when Hobby Lobby reopens and see if they want to give building a try.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 05-11-2020, 05:58 PM
Craftsman

Nice Bill.

It's really rewarding sharing the hobby with kids, of any age...