Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2020, 06:37 PM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroTech
TMT has had quicker response times, better data and better luck in getting the motors to ignite properly.

I would rather not predict a ship date until the motors are certified. Sometimes we are over impulse with these small motors due to the limitations of our own equipment, and the uncertainty in the estimation of performance resulting from the difference in elevation between the AeroTech and TMT test locations (about 5,600 feet). If that occurs with the C motor, we will need to submit another set of samples.

Thanks, that’s interesting, I find Q-jets light easily and quickly.

I always wondered about the elevation difference, if I recall, the G138 might have been an H at 5600 feet.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:36 PM
Manufacturer

I think the S&T folks thought these were end burners, at least at first. That caused problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
Thanks, that’s interesting, I find Q-jets light easily and quickly.

I always wondered about the elevation difference, if I recall, the G138 might have been an H at 5600 feet.

AeroTech Consumer Aerospace
Division of RCS Rocket Motor Components, Inc.
2113 W 850 N
Cedar City, UT 84721
435-865-7100 (Ph)
435-865-7120 (Fax)
http://www.aerotech-quest.com
http://www.rocketmotorparts.com.com
http://www.specificimpulse.com
Old 06-24-2020, 09:47 PM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
I think the S&T folks thought these were end burners, at least at first. That caused problems.

Ah that makes sense!
Old 06-25-2020, 01:54 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
TMT has had quicker response times, better data and better luck in getting the motors to ignite properly.

I would rather not predict a ship date until the motors are certified. Sometimes we are over impulse with these small motors due to the limitations of our own equipment, and the uncertainty in the estimation of performance resulting from the difference in elevation between the AeroTech and TMT test locations (about 5,600 feet). If that occurs with the C motor, we will need to submit another set of samples.

Can't they apply a correction for altitude? That should be very easy to do.
Old 06-25-2020, 03:36 PM
Manufacturer

Yes, but again there are differences in thrust stand calibration and accuracy, and the performance would also be slightly affected by local barometric pressure variations. A cumulative one or two percent error can easily kick you into the next motor class if you're trying to produce a full-impulse motor in a particular size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wooten
Can't they apply a correction for altitude? That should be very easy to do.

AeroTech Consumer Aerospace
Division of RCS Rocket Motor Components, Inc.
2113 W 850 N
Cedar City, UT 84721
435-865-7100 (Ph)
435-865-7120 (Fax)
http://www.aerotech-quest.com
http://www.rocketmotorparts.com.com
http://www.specificimpulse.com
Old 06-25-2020, 03:59 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Yes, but again there are differences in thrust stand calibration and accuracy, and the performance would also be slightly affected by local barometric pressure variations. A cumulative one or two percent error can easily kick you into the next motor class if you're trying to produce a full-impulse motor in a particular size.

Gary-

Thanks for taking the time to post here about Aerotech products; much appreciated.

On motors tested with NAR S&T (well, TRA too, I guess), what +/- on total impulse are you allowed for a given motor within an impulse class before it is ‘rejected’ as being out of spec? I assume it is some percentage level. Just curious....

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 06-25-2020, 08:40 PM
Sometimes collector

You just have to label it per NFPA.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:36 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
You just have to label it per NFPA.

No, I am asking what percent error a manufacturer has to fall within either high or low on motor tests for it to pass motor testing.

For example, if a ‘C’ motor is being tested and it is supposed to test out to 10ns total power, how many percent +/- from 10ns is the tested motor allowed to deviate and still be ‘accepted’ as a successfully tested motor.

I know there are other parameters that are tested, such as delay burn time, etc., but to meet the motor impulse class it is supposed to be in, just how accurate (and I guess ‘repeatable’, because they don’t just test a single motor per motor type I don’t guess) does the burn have to be. He says above that certain testing conditions can throw things off by just a percent or two and cause a motor to fall outside it’s supposed motor class.

I’m just wondering how ‘tight’ that performance window is.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 06-25-2020, 10:11 PM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
No, I am asking what percent error a manufacturer has to fall within either high or low on motor tests for it to pass motor testing.

For example, if a ‘C’ motor is being tested and it is supposed to test out to 10ns total power, how many percent +/- from 10ns is the tested motor allowed to deviate and still be ‘accepted’ as a successfully tested motor.

I know there are other parameters that are tested, such as delay burn time, etc., but to meet the motor impulse class it is supposed to be in, just how accurate (and I guess ‘repeatable’, because they don’t just test a single motor per motor type I don’t guess) does the burn have to be. He says above that certain testing conditions can throw things off by just a percent or two and cause a motor to fall outside it’s supposed motor class.

I’m just wondering how ‘tight’ that performance window is.

Earl

Ah I think I understand, sorry. Acceptable standard deviation.
Old 06-25-2020, 10:15 PM
Retired Missile Technician

You'd have to check NFPA 1125, IIRC. it seems to me that it was +/- 10% impulse and +/- 20% on time delay. Surprisingly, the NAR website does not have this info readily available. When I was on S&T decades ago, the manufacturers kept the impulse low as not to exceed the maximum.

Chas