Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2020, 09:50 PM
Dazed and Confused

Default World's Smallest NAS

I think I've tied a record for the world's smallest NAS (network attached storage). I don't have one of those new fangled routers that you can just plug a drive into, so I had to build one to keep my rocket pics and videos on, along with my Emergency! collection that I recently ripped from my DVD's. I've got several other classic TV series that I captured off the TV as well.

If you want to access your rocket videos with your phone from anywhere around the house, this project is for you. It didn't cost me a nickel because I already had stuff laying around for it. You can do it on the cheap even if you don't have everything laying around like I did. What's even better is you have it stored at home, not on the cloud for a company to someday extort for more money (think Photobucket), or for some jerk to hack.

Supplies that I used:
Raspberry Pi 3b+ (or Pi 4) single board computer (a used 3b+ is dang near free on eBay) It will fit in a cigarette pack.
32gb microSD (4gb is plenty)
Old usb phone charger
Cat-5e Ethernet cord
Hard drive with USB connection. I'm using an old 5.25" 2Tb drive in a dock.

You can use USB sticks (use 2, 3, or 4 for raid!) or a 2.5" laptop drive with an $8 USB adapter and you won't need a dock or external power supply. I will switch to USB sticks when the 512Gb or bigger ones get dirt cheap. If you go with USB sticks, you can stick the whole NAS in your pocket...one pocket!

Download Raspian Buster Lite (Debian based Linux OS) It's free.
Download OpenMediaVault (NAS software based on Debian Linux) It's free.
Download Etcher (Used to burn your OS onto the MicroSD. Electron based cross platform) It's free.
Download Putty (SSH to get stuff done)**** It's free too.

Follow tutorials on Youtube and Bob's your uncle! I'm watching the Cardinals game on TV right now while streaming some old rocket videos on my phone from the NAS.
I used this tutorial just so I wouldn't have to spend time learning the OMV software that I'd only be tweaking one time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYDyvr9Uc6Y&t=50s

One thing the tutorials don't mention (or maybe I dozed off) is to reserve an IP on your router so it will pick up the same IP every time. That way you can map the location on your streaming devices permanently. Just type in the MAC and your preferred IP in the DHCP section of your router settings.

The tutorials are done with Windows computers, but I did it on Linux without any trouble. Macs should be a breeze too.

Scott and all the rest of you computer professionals, don't laugh. I know this is as simple as opening a beer for you, and you probably have some bulletproof network storage already in use. However, the total computer novices can learn a little about the stuff you use every day by playing with this. If you get tired of it, you will still have a cool little single board computer that you can do fun things with.

****Putty is an SSH. It allows you to access the Pi remotely from your favorite computer (Win, Mac, or Linux) so you don't have to fool with connecting a monitor, mouse or keyboard to it. You can if you want, though. I've used the Pi to stream Youtube and Netflix on the TV in the past, just to see if I could.

Build this little guy and fall asleep in bed looking at your rocket pics and videos on your phone without having to store on the cloud or transfer files to it!
Old 08-24-2020, 10:03 PM
Dazed and Confused

You don't need the clear case. It will work fine and dandy naked. It will even stay cooler that way. Yes, that's is a real mini-brute Mosquito.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  20200824_220033.resized.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  599.0 KB  
Old 08-25-2020, 12:42 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Awesome!

Why is it that for every additional year I am retired, my list of potential projects just seems to be getting hopelessly longer?

When I get up at 4am for that senior trip to the bathroom, I should just head down to my shop afterward.

I just noticed the Orange Bullet face card. I just started one the other day. Is it just me, the nose cone is too fat near the tip? I hand sanded it to get it to look like a real BNC-20B.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 08-25-2020, 08:10 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
I just noticed the Orange Bullet face card. I just started one the other day. Is it just me, the nose cone is too fat near the tip? I hand sanded it to get it to look like a real BNC-20B.

LOL, my "bench" for the big project was one of my rocket storage bins that hasn't been moved to the spare bedroom yet.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:38 AM
Mildly Insane

Since you have the Pi running, add Pi-Hole to it too so that you have whole-network ad-blocking.

https://pi-hole.net/

At home, my NAS is 36TB (8x6TB drives in R6 6+2 config) but at work I manage ~100PB of NAS globally. Most of it is used to host genetic sequencing data used by our researchers.
Old 08-25-2020, 02:25 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by heada
Since you have the Pi running, add Pi-Hole to it too so that you have whole-network ad-blocking.

https://pi-hole.net/

At home, my NAS is 36TB (8x6TB drives in R6 6+2 config) but at work I manage ~100PB of NAS globally. Most of it is used to host genetic sequencing data used by our researchers.

Cool. These little gadgets are an endless supply of fun for $25-35.
Old 08-25-2020, 06:31 PM
Dazed and Confused

There's nothing better than watching an episode of Emergency! from 1972, seeing the cool old signs and billboards, vintage cars, etc. from my youth. It's almost got me in the mood to do some sanding!
Old 08-25-2020, 07:08 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
There's nothing better than watching an episode of Emergency! from 1972, seeing the cool old signs and billboards, vintage cars, etc. from my youth. It's almost got me in the mood to do some sanding!

Hmmm...summer of ‘72: Mark Spitz and seven gold medals (the ‘better’ memories of those Olympics). And the Hollies Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress on the radio; one of the coolest guitar intros ever.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 08-25-2020, 07:15 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Hmmm...summer of ‘72: Mark Spitz and seven gold medals (the ‘better’ memories of those Olympics). And the Hollies Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress on the radio; one of the coolest guitar intros ever.

Earl

Spitz and his wife were in an episode of Emergency! in 1974.
And speaking of music in 1972, Alice Cooper came out with one of my favorite anthems: School's Out.