Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2005, 10:25 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Got any close-up shots of the SPEV? It looks pretty close to my BMS-based model.

Here's one. I used a thick walled tube from an Estes AGM-57X Heatseeker E2X for the Agena body. I didn't have any good photos of the nosecone from an Estes model, so I used the numbers from Peter Alway's book on a Thor Agena. I've seen pics of the original fairly recently and I obviously missed it a little. Plus, I forgot to leave the tip white.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  SPEV.JPG
Views: 98
Size:  410.5 KB  
Old 06-30-2005, 12:11 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

A great masking tape to use that doesn't allow bleed through and doesn't pull up the paint underneath it is the stuff from Tamiya. You can get it in a lot of hobby shops. Here's a link to check it out:

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tam/tam87030.htm
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 06-30-2005, 01:24 PM
Got it bad BAR

Default Masking tape

Has anyone had the problem of the blue masking tape messing up the paint underneath it? The two times I tried this tape the fresh color I masked over had tape print on it and the finish was now dull. I taped for the second color a few hours after the first dried the first time and over night the second time with the same results. The overall results came out fine because I lightly sand with 400 or 600 when all the painting is done to remove any fine dirt, hairs, etc and parting lines. After finishing the decal work, the clear Krylon or Future Polish give the entire rocket a wonderful shine. It is just extra work to smooth out the paint marks and sometimes I just don't want to clear coat. Is it the tape or something I am doing wrong?

NAR 85416 L3 as of 4/2010

"There is never enough rope to do the job but it is always long enough to hang yourself up with problems"
Old 06-30-2005, 01:33 PM
Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac BAR
Has anyone had the problem of the blue masking tape messing up the paint underneath it? The two times I tried this tape the fresh color I masked over had tape print on it and the finish was now dull. I taped for the second color a few hours after the first dried the first time and over night the second timed:

Geoffrey,
You probably need to wait longer for the first coat to cure. Several people have suggested that if you can smell it, it's not dry enough. I would wait at least a couple of days, longer if the humidity is up.
Drew Tomko
Old 06-30-2005, 02:03 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Here's one. I used a thick walled tube from an Estes AGM-57X Heatseeker E2X for the Agena body. I didn't have any good photos of the nosecone from an Estes model, so I used the numbers from Peter Alway's book on a Thor Agena. I've seen pics of the original fairly recently and I obviously missed it a little. Plus, I forgot to leave the tip white.

The white tip was the most difficult part. I'd never know yours wasn't a BMS product like mine. You nailed it.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 07-03-2005, 08:33 AM
GET GOONY!!

Those are some awsome rockets... and some nice pics!! It is always inspiring to see someone build a 'real' scratch model, including turning their own balsa. Great job!!

Phred

GET GOONY!!