Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SAM - Semroc Astronautic Modeler Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2011, 01:39 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Default Engine Survey

I have added an online engine survey to get you input. This is in a constant state of change. As more engines are better characterized, the data will be updated. I will be adding some links to .eng files for Rocksim as I get them completed.

The engines longer than 3.25" are in the future, since they will require a new machine, but we do want to get an idea of interest in current sizes, as well as future sizes.

This survey is only for SAM's until we are ready for a larger public exposure. Please send your comments, errors, omissions, ideas, etc. in this thread. We want all SAM's to have as much input in this process as possible.

The link is Engine Survey. You have to login to see it. There is a current limit of 100 packs per engine so the results do not get badly skewed. (GH... don't break the B14 buttons! )
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 01-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Whoa! That list is dizzyingly (is that a word?) long!

I'll just answer, yes.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 01-09-2011, 02:56 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Carl,

Are these based on the thrust curves we 'discussed' and even designed a few possible models around over on the SVDT? I'll have to dig out my old engine files...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 01-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Ok, I filled out the form, but I didn't see a 'save' button.
Does it automatically save it under my SAM No.?

S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
I have added an online engine survey to get you input. This is in a constant state of change. As more engines are better characterized, the data will be updated. I will be adding some links to .eng files for Rocksim as I get them completed.

The engines longer than 3.25" are in the future, since they will require a new machine, but we do want to get an idea of interest in current sizes, as well as future sizes.

This survey is only for SAM's until we are ready for a larger public exposure. Please send your comments, errors, omissions, ideas, etc. in this thread. We want all SAM's to have as much input in this process as possible.

The link is Engine Survey. You have to login to see it. There is a current limit of 100 packs per engine so the results do not get badly skewed. (GH... don't break the B14 buttons! )
Old 01-09-2011, 03:11 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Carl,

Are these based on the thrust curves we 'discussed' and even designed a few possible models around over on the SVDT? I'll have to dig out my old engine files...

They are similar, but I have some that are projections (like we did) and some are actual. Since the ID of the Standard increased to .520", they are slightly higher. The 10mm is characterized, but the 15 and 22 are not.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 01-09-2011, 03:12 PM
Master Modeler

I agree with Scott....it's hard to wrap one's mind around such a large and varied list.

Some curiosities:

It seems that (for now) all the weights are propellant + 1g regardless of form factor or delay. I expect that's a work-in-progress kind of thing.

Also, in the "retro" section there are "R" and "RS" entries. The "RS" types are really shorties, right?

Finally, the motor designations that are in small type and parentheses are the Estes designations for the same motors, right? In the case of the "retros" they're the pre-metric designations.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 01-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
Ok, I filled out the form, but I didn't see a 'save' button.
Does it automatically save it under my SAM No.?

S.

After entering a quantity, either hit enter or the update button beside the number. It is going to a database, so the information is stored immediately. The last column combines your count with all the others entered, realtime. If you change an amount, it does not add or subtract, but replaces the previous quantity for that engine.

I put this online before all the wrinkles are out, so please be patient with me!
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 01-09-2011, 03:31 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
I agree with Scott....it's hard to wrap one's mind around such a large and varied list.

Some curiosities:

It seems that (for now) all the weights are propellant + 1g regardless of form factor or delay. I expect that's a work-in-progress kind of thing.

Also, in the "retro" section there are "R" and "RS" entries. The "RS" types are really shorties, right?

Finally, the motor designations that are in small type and parentheses are the Estes designations for the same motors, right? In the case of the "retros" they're the pre-metric designations.

You can understand the magnitude of this. I want two machines to do all 200 or so of the engines with very little changeover between types.

The S and RS are shorties. The R designates the Mabel I (.406") ID with thick walls.

I am working on the Initial weight. For now it does just add 1 g. That will change to reflect the real weight.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 01-09-2011, 03:43 PM
Rocket Scientist

Would it be difficult to have a general "Update All" button that will check all the form selections? It would be a little easier than individually clicking each one, but it isn't a big issue. Such an enticing list...
NAR#77967
http://www.Semroc.com
Old 01-09-2011, 03:48 PM
UF grad deep in enemy territory

If one is "logged on" as a SAM through the Semroc website, is there another step in being able to see the engine survey? How does one go about

John