Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2006, 03:07 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
I ordered the parts for a Lil' Hustler during the big 50% off sale.

I'm a little suspicious of the 5 1/2" length given for the payload tube in the Ye Olde Rocket Plans addendum. Can anyone confirm this figure?

I plan on building the model with "through the wall" fins. The tab wouldn't amount to more than a 1/8" stub, but this would still add a lot of strength.

Looking at those plans and based on the payload capacity claims in the plans of 1.75D x 4.25L, I come up with 6.125" length for the payload tube. The nose cone and transition shoulders measured from a print out of the scan collectively take up 1.875" + 4.25L payload capacity.

6.125" would be my "best guess" estimate based solely on that plan set.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 01-05-2006, 07:38 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Carl has laser cut fins for the Athena on the Semroc website as well as all the parts to clone it except the wraps; see the link below.
http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...arts.asp?ID=561

The 1/70 scale K-29 Saturn 1B wrap will not be really correct for the Athena as the original used trimmed 1/100 scale Centuri Saturn wraps (as did the Orion)
I got a set of Orion II wraps from Neubauer for my Athena; these were slightly large as the Orion II was a slight upscale version of the original Orion (2.6" tube instead of 2"). I think you may still be able to get them from Neubauer; this is the only available wrap I know of that is even close to original.

The Athena and the Centurion use the same fin pattern but the Athena fins are thicker balsa.

One word of caution: if you insist on having an accurate plastic cone for the Athena and '72 Aero Dart, the only place I know of to get it is Moldin Oldies. I have one on an Aero Dart and Athena Clone. While these cones have the molded in panel lines for authenticity, they are in my opinion very fragile for flight. When my Athena and Aero-Dart Fly, I switch over to the Semroc Balsa Nose cone which has the correct profile & is MUCH more durable.

Here ia a link to the Orion/Athena plastic cone:
http://moldinoldies.rocketshoppe.com/images/pnc-231.jpg

Balsa Athena cone from Semroc:
http://www.semroc.com/Store/Scripts...p?idproduct=702

As an added side note, I think Carl may have found that the SLS kits would have been real barn burners if he would have launched the line with the Aero-Dart, Hustler, Little Hustler, and Athena. From the comments I have read, there are tons of BARs that can't wait to get their hands on these. While I really enjoy my SLS Scorpion and Jaguar, I have not ever heard anyone extremely excited about them like I have for the other kits I mentioned.

I really think Carl will be pleasantly surprised when he launches the Hustler and Aero-Dart.

Incidentally, I did not use through the wall fin construction on my Hustler, Aero-Dart, or Athena; I used properly prepared fins/tubes (well sanded for good adhesion) and I drilled the fin-tube joint with several 1/16" holes to form "glue rivets", as well as good 4hr cure epoxy fillets. While the Hustler and athena have yet to fly, the Aero-Dart has performed well on a variety of BP Engines and Composite RMS loads, without any hint of a fin separation.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 01-05-2006, 08:46 PM
Master Modeler

I like my SLS Skyhook well enough. I like the heavy walled slotted tubes and the laser cut basswood fins so it should be real durable but the size of it isn't much different than a lot of models on the market. I can't see myself using anything larger than a 24mm BP motor in it.

The SLS Laser-X on the other hand is excellent. The size of it is more in line of what I expected from the SLS line. The interchangable motor mount is designed real well. I'm hoping that future SLS models are larger than the current offerings and designed to use the interchangable motor mounts as well.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:53 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I like the interchangeable motor mmt of the SLS Laser X, but it (Laser X) is a design I have never warmed up to.

I probably never will use larger than a 24mm motor in my Scorpion or Jaguar either unless someone starts making 29mm D engines.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 01-05-2006, 10:06 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I like the interchangeable motor mmt of the SLS Laser X, but it (Laser X) is a design I have never warmed up to.

I probably never will use larger than a 24mm motor in my Scorpion or Jaguar either unless someone starts making 29mm D engines.

I guess the point I was trying to make was that most of the SLS line are upscales of small models so that even in a larger size, they are not big models. An Estes Big Bertha is larger than my SLS Skyhook although the Skyhook is much higher quality.

I'll still pick up a Scorpion and probably a Jaguar but like the Skyhook, I'll just glue the 24mm mount in.

What I would like to see is a model made with the tubing used in the Laser-X so that the interchangable motor mounts can be used in multiple models.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:34 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Carl has laser cut fins for the Athena on the Semroc website as well as all the parts to clone it except the wraps; see the link below.
http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...arts.asp?ID=561

The 1/70 scale K-29 Saturn 1B wrap will not be really correct for the Athena as the original used trimmed 1/100 scale Centuri Saturn wraps (as did the Orion)
I got a set of Orion II wraps from Neubauer for my Athena; these were slightly large as the Orion II was a slight upscale version of the original Orion (2.6" tube instead of 2"). I think you may still be able to get them from Neubauer; this is the only available wrap I know of that is even close to original.

The Athena and the Centurion use the same fin pattern but the Athena fins are thicker balsa.

One word of caution: if you insist on having an accurate plastic cone for the Athena and '72 Aero Dart, the only place I know of to get it is Moldin Oldies. I have one on an Aero Dart and Athena Clone. While these cones have the molded in panel lines for authenticity, they are in my opinion very fragile for flight. When my Athena and Aero-Dart Fly, I switch over to the Semroc Balsa Nose cone which has the correct profile & is MUCH more durable.

Here ia a link to the Orion/Athena plastic cone:
http://moldinoldies.rocketshoppe.com/images/pnc-231.jpg

Balsa Athena cone from Semroc:
http://www.semroc.com/Store/Scripts...p?idproduct=702

As an added side note, I think Carl may have found that the SLS kits would have been real barn burners if he would have launched the line with the Aero-Dart, Hustler, Little Hustler, and Athena. From the comments I have read, there are tons of BARs that can't wait to get their hands on these. While I really enjoy my SLS Scorpion and Jaguar, I have not ever heard anyone extremely excited about them like I have for the other kits I mentioned.

I really think Carl will be pleasantly surprised when he launches the Hustler and Aero-Dart.

Incidentally, I did not use through the wall fin construction on my Hustler, Aero-Dart, or Athena; I used properly prepared fins/tubes (well sanded for good adhesion) and I drilled the fin-tube joint with several 1/16" holes to form "glue rivets", as well as good 4hr cure epoxy fillets. While the Hustler and athena have yet to fly, the Aero-Dart has performed well on a variety of BP Engines and Composite RMS loads, without any hint of a fin separation.

Well first thanks for all the great info and links for the Athena. I do appreciate that. I don't know how I overlooked that link to the Athena parts on the Semroc site but somehow I did. I had read somewhere that others had used the Saturn 1B wraps but didn't realize they were not close to the originals. Glad you caught that. I do want to do an Athena build so I saved all the info from your post above. I like your idea about the Semroc cone for flight and the Moldin Oldies cone for display.

Do you have any pictures of your finished Athena? I searched the forum and found your build thread for the Athena but didn't find any images here.

I agree with you that if Carl had launched the SLS kit line with the Hustler, Little Hustler, Athena and Aero-Dart kits first, well lets just say there goes my $100 gift certificate and my wife asking why there is another box from Semroc by the front door

If I get tired of waiting for the kit releases and I'm ready for another project I'll probably just build them from the plans and parts sets and get some input from you guys.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 01-06-2006, 04:27 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:

I think the folks who remember these models will be very interested. (Gary Fillible's eyes bugged out when he saw the Hustler I recreated.) But they are probably fewer in number compared to the number who recall (for example) the Laser-X. Also, the Mini-Max age kits don't have quite the wow factor of big scale kits liike the Saturn Ib.

One thing in the favor of the Huster and Aero-Dart (and Lil' Hustler, and Explorer) is that they are SIMPLE. Tube, fins, transition, cone. Except for the motor mounts, it is all there already.

Quote:

I did all that on my Aero-Dart and Hustler, and still would have gone with TTY if I had to do it again. The problem isn't FLIGHT durability, it is holding up to landings and transportation / storage. Those big fins give plenty of leverage for joint-snapping action.

One thing you could do to move things along:

Build a few of the Mini-Max models from Semroc parts and write an article for EMSS!
Old 01-07-2006, 10:39 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Exclamation Through The Wall: Why You Need It

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
I [snip] still would have gone with TTW(?) if I had to do it again. The problem isn't FLIGHT durability, it is holding up to landings and transportation / storage. Those big fins give plenty of leverage for joint-snapping action.
Indeed! Case in point:

http://www.rocketreviews.com/review...ls_javelin.html

Cheers,

--Jay