Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-24-2009, 01:35 AM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomoriah
I was afraid the LEDs wouldn't be bright enough, but they seem plenty bright in actual service.

What I like to use is a "clear" LED that lights up with a bright color. So if it is off if is clear, and if it is on, you see the color. I had too many aggravating times in sunlight trying to see if a translucent colored LED was "lit" by electricity (ON) or "lit" by sunlight hitting it but not on. So the clear bright LED works great.

I did not know for sure if our section's system was safe for these Quest Ignitors or not. In theory, yes. But I like proof. At our monthly BRB launch last Saturday, Roy Green showed up form Atlanta (a pleasant surprise), and he used a few of those ignitors for some of his rockets.

Nothing fired early, so the system seems to be safe for them.

Also, the system has each rack (and HPR Junction Box) with a buzzer and light when armed, to greatly reduce the chances anyone will ever be near or hooking up a model with the rack accidentally ARMED without anybody realizing it (especially those at the rack that is armed, or at the HPR area if its junction box is armed). So if the system had set off the Quest ignitors, it would at least not have happened until the panel was turned on with the rack armed in preparation for launch (people cleared away).

- George Gassaway

Last edited by georgegassaway : 03-25-2009 at 06:01 AM.