Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2012, 09:59 PM
I do not like Facebook

Default Competition launch towers from BMS

Bill Saindon told me at NARAM that he is considering making another batch of launch towers.

Once he is about ready to acquire the bulk of the parts, he will begin accepting pre-orders, those doing so will get a discount in return for partially funding the effort.

So if you are interested, e-mail him and get on the waiting list. The more potential buyers, the sooner he will do it.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 08-30-2012, 03:47 AM
Old BAR

Pardon my ignorance, but what do these launch towers look like?

Allen
Old 08-30-2012, 04:34 PM
U.S. Manned Space Program Buff

Do you know what the specs are: dimensional data and materials?

Greg
Old 08-30-2012, 08:22 PM
I do not like Facebook

I have not been able to find any information on the 'net about it yet. I could have sworn that there was a review on EMRR...

It is the same gold and silver aluminum design that Apogee used to sell as the Medalist before selling the design to BMS. The vertical parts are natural aluminum color. Gold colored pieces with holes in them for lighter weight form a hexagonal support for the vertical parts.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...

Last edited by Bill : 08-30-2012 at 08:24 PM. Reason: more details
Old 08-31-2012, 07:44 AM
Paper Rocketeer

Our club owns one of the Medalist towers (the colored parts are red on it) and several members own them as well. They went out of production before I got into rocketry, but I do use the club launcher. They are fantastic for competition and can be quickly and easily adjusted to anything up to about two inches in diameter, and something like about 5 or 6 inch fin span (tip to tip). The built in deflector can be flipped down and out of the way to allow the use of pistons. I would love to get one of them if possible - they are , hands down, way better than any other design that I have seen or used.

Greg
Old 09-03-2012, 01:46 AM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
Pardon my ignorance, but what do these launch towers look like?

Allen
Someone in my club has an old one. It's very nicely made, with what appears to be a lightweight stamped steel frame and lightweight steel tubes as guides. It is very easy to adjust on the fly for different rocket widths. I believe that it is 4 feet long. I don't recall offhand if it can accommodate four-finned rockets along with the more typical 3FNC types.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 09-03-2012, 01:53 AM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein
The built in deflector can be flipped down and out of the way to allow the use of pistons.
Wait, someone uses a piston AND a tower together? Isn't that kind of redundant? Sort of like packing a recovery system with a parachute and a streamer?
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 09-03-2012, 08:13 AM
Paper Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
Wait, someone uses a piston AND a tower together? Isn't that kind of redundant? Sort of like packing a recovery system with a parachute and a streamer?

Nope - using a piston in a tower eliminates piston tip-off, but gives about a 10% boost to altitude. Most of us use the "Cheap-and-Dirty" pistons developed by Chad Ring.

Greg
Old 09-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Opinions mine; not of NAR or MOF!

Tried emailing Bill, regarding my interest in a couple of towers, but I don't think I made it past his spam filter. Maybe he'll read this!
Old 09-03-2012, 03:58 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein
Nope - using a piston in a tower eliminates piston tip-off, but gives about a 10% boost to altitude. Most of us use the "Cheap-and-Dirty" pistons developed by Chad Ring.

Greg
The only reason it is only 10% for most Estes motors is the lack of a longer delay option. If you use electronics the almost 40% improvement can be realized.

We used to put delays from USR SU motors and CD SU motors in C6-0 motors to get C6-9, which made a big difference. Not contest approved of course, but if AT were to officially recommend putting an RDK delay kit onto Estes motors, and the NAR approved its use, it would be. With Hobbico-Estes-Aerotech in a close relationship now, it is not entirely impossible.

Jerry