Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2009, 11:05 AM
BAR

I've used the Q2G2 igniters with my home built launch controller and they work great, especially for clusters, due to their longer, more flexible, and insulated leads. I use a so-called super-bright LED as a continuity check, and limit the current to 10mA.
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 01-16-2009, 11:41 AM
Launching since 1970.

I called our club electrical guru and he said he got an inexpensive high output LED, a socket and then tried various resistors until he got the current down to 20ma. So our club panel now is extremely safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
All the motor packs from Quest that include the new igniters that I have gotten include clear instructions warning you about use of other brands of controllers and the possibility that their continuity light current will fire the Q2G2 igniters.

I looked up recently old e-mail on this subject and our club president measured the current that our club panel with small computer console lamp delivered for continuity. It was 103ma and only a few of the Q2G2 igniters were observed to fire from this current - a fairly small percentage. Our new LED light delivers much less current. I will ask our electrical guru what he measured (probably by phone later today when I get a chance).

I'm not sure I remember hearing what the official "no-fire" current is, but it may be 50ma (this could be confirmed by contacting Quest). I have been told that "The all-fire current on the igniters is very low at 150ma - that's why you get 100% reliability... "

Old 01-16-2009, 12:13 PM
Craftsman

I've used them with my home-built controller, testing them first, as recommended in their instructions. I love 'um, they work great. I love the long flexible, leads. I can't wait to use them in a cluster.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Old Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana

I just measured my Estes controller and 185 milliamps were delivered to my ammeter.

One important thing to keep in mind is how fresh the batteries are. Power delivered to the ignitor is what causes the ignitor to fire. And power is voltage x current. Newer batteries will usually have a lower voltage drop when driving an ignitor and will then need less current to fire the ignitor. Best way to test is to use a constant current power supply to see what the no-fire and all fire limits are, and to monitor the voltage to make sure it is lower than what a typical launch system supplies.

The resistance of the launch system itself will also affect the all-fire and no-fire levels, typically raising the currents required.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:13 AM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

With any igniter that may be ignited with the continuity check, I assume there is continuity and do my countdown and then insert my key. If it goes, I was prepared. If it doesn't, I just do another countdown........man, talk about rocket science......
Old 02-07-2009, 07:53 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default The Pratt Hobbies Go Box

I launched a Semroc Centurion today with a Quest C6-5 using one of the Q2B2 igniters. My launch system was a Pratt Hobbies Go Box connected to a 12-volt tractor battery. The Go Box uses a buzzer to indicate continuity, so perhaps that's why it didn't fire when I put in the continuity key.
BTW, I like the long burn on those Quest C motors!
timmwood
Old 03-23-2009, 03:27 PM
Launching since 1975

Have not yet tried the Quest Q2G2 igniters but considering them for clustering. Q: Is a 6V lantern battery sufficient to ignite 2 of these igniters in a cluster?
Old 03-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLaunchman
Have not yet tried the Quest Q2G2 igniters but considering them for clustering. Q: Is a 6V lantern battery sufficient to ignite 2 of these igniters in a cluster?

Of course, assuming that your controller wires are not way too thin and too long and the battery is not "poopy" (i.e. weak or carbon zinc).

Reason: Estes igniters can be clustered in pairs with a standard 4 AA controller when using fresh batteries. The Q2G2 require MUCH less current than the Estes igniters AND the 4 D or F cells inside a good Alkaline lantern battery can deliver MUCH more current.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:02 PM
The_Ripper

Also the factory direct price for the Quest Model Rocket Launch Controller is only $14.50
If I had need of a controller or a spare I'd purchase it and the $3.00 X-ternal Battery Connector.
I still may pick one up just to have it on hand should I ever want to launch without the club.

http://www.questaerospace.com/itemd...ic=7510&eq=&Tp=

I haven't tried any of my Q2G2's I picked up during the last sale but the next organized launch I attend I will use them for several planned cluster flights.

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 03-23-2009, 10:16 PM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

Given just an LED and an 820 Ohm resistor such as I used in my launch control system, at 12 volts the maximum current is about 12 mA. My research indicated that I needed to keep the current below 20 mA to avoid burning out the LED; my target was around 15 or so, but I got a good deal on the resistors. I was afraid the LEDs wouldn't be bright enough, but they seem plenty bright in actual service.
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org